Whole Dog Journal's Blog December 28, 2017

The Hazards of Transporting Puppies

I promise to stop talking about my foster puppies soon. Especially since I’m down to just two of them; soon enough, I won’t have anything to say. But today’s adventure made me yearn for the day they will all be gone.

I agreed to transport two puppies to meet with a woman who was adopting one of the pups. She was going to transport the second puppy to the base of the West Coast coordinator of the breed rescue who has sponsored this litter (and their heartworm-positive mom); the pup will catch a ride with yet another volunteer in a few days to her new home in southern California – about a 10-hour drive from my house to the puppy’s new home, all in all.

I have a good-sized crate for pups of this size, but it’s on loan to a friend who transported yet another one of the puppies to a town in the southern bay area. That’s where the pup was transferred to the brother of the adopter; he drove that pup several hours further south to Bakersfield, where he met the adopter, who had driven up from near Phoenix, Arizona! At any rate, I didn’t have the crate that fits in the back of my car.

But I drive a car that has a smallish but deep “way back” area behind the back seat, and the seats are not only tall, but they recline slightly. So if I put puppies in this way-back area, when I recline the seats, the pups are more or less secure back there – at least, all the other puppies I’ve ever transported that way were. I put down two thick, fuzzy mats on top of the sheet that I pretty much always have protecting every dog-accessible surface of my car.

My segment of the transport was about an hour in each direction.

At about the 30-minute point, I detected the unmistakable aroma of fresh puppy vomit. I pulled over.

We won't subject you to the grossness; this was taken after the mats got home, were hosed off, and awaiting a turn in the washing machine.

It looked to me like both puppies had lost their lunch – er, breakfast. But I stopped before both pups were covered in the semi-digested food. I was able to scoot the pups to one side and fold up the top mat, with the vomit safely contained within it. Ha! Good thing I had padded the back area so well! I petted the pups and tried to give them a few words of encouragement. “Not much farther, pups! Hang in there!” I got back in and started driving.

I had only gone a few miles when the odor took another, far worse turn. Someone pooped. Ack! I pulled over again.

As I got out of the car, I could see one puppy in my back seat. Oh my gosh! How did he do that? It was the larger puppy, and he apparently used the folded up vomit mat to gain enough altitude to pull himself over the back seat. At any rate, thank dog, he wasn’t the one who pooped. In fact, he was looking a little like, “I had to climb out of the back, man! There is POOP back there!” He then crawled under the front seat, and rode the rest of the way under there.

I opened the way back and recoiled. Soooo much poop and spread around liberally by the very car-sick puppy, who, in her panic at being left alone in the way-back, within the minute it took me to pull over, had tracked all through the soft poo. I quickly shut the hatch, and walked to the passenger door, which I opened so I could reach the glove compartment. I had brought my dog Woody with me; he wouldn’t make eye contact with me, but had a sort of disgusted look on his face as he steadfastly stared forward through the windshield.

I save extra napkins from fast-food places, and there were a bunch in my glovebox. I grabbed all of them and went back to the rear of the car.

I was able to fold the poop-smeared mat in half, and then used napkin after napkin to wipe the puppy’s paws and rear end (she sat in it at least once). By the time I was done, she still smelled to high heaven, but wasn’t leaving poop on my paper napkins. I folded the mat into a quarter, with all the poopy napkins inside, and hit the road again.

Within two minutes, the carsick pup had climbed over the now-high-stacked mats into the back seat, and then into the front seat of my car. She just wanted some comfort, so I allowed her to crawl into my lap, where she rode the rest of the way to my meeting spot with her head on my chest, drooling – so I had a smelly, wet, drooly shirt-front when I met the nice lady who was going to take the pups the rest of the way.

My first question: “Did you by any chance bring a big crate?”

Thank dog, she did. I donated the one (relatively) clean sheet that I had in the back seat to pad the crate – and in case she needed something, you know, "absorbent" for the next hour’s drive. We chatted for a few minutes, I introduced her to her new pup and the carsick pup, and after a last kiss on the puppy heads (how much worse could it be?) we got the pups situated in the big crate. Then I drove Woody and myself home, with the passenger window halfway down, and Woody’s head hanging out. I would have done the same, if I could have driven like that.

I raised his window halfway when we got back on the freeway.

Note to self: Never transport pups for a long drive in a car without a crate again. And perhaps some wet-wipes, a plastic bag or two, and a roll of paper towels.

What was your most memorably disastrous dog transport?

12 Lab puppies in a very large crate - they had just left their mom in the south and were on their way to New England to be made available for adoption. Their crate was covered in newspaper, but during the drive they pooped, walked it around, and pooped again. There were just too many of them for me to take the chance of opening the crate and cleaning things up. As the day progressed the poop dried a bit and jumping, climbing puppies pushed the mix of paper and poo out of the crate into my car. By the time my part of the transport was done and the crate moved to the next car there was a fine mulch of stinking puppy poo drifting all through the back of my SUV! It took weeks of cleaning to get rid of the smell - and I stopped transporting large breed dogs altogether. Give me a terrier in a small crate any day!

Posted by: pkinpa | January 2, 2018 1:04 PM    Report this comment

I stand in awe of your patience and utter commitment!

Posted by: Mel Blacke | January 1, 2018 7:35 AM    Report this comment

I took my dog Topher, who is 1/2 Corgi, (the mystery half making him look like a twice as tall purebred Corgi) for a hike at a new spot. There was a relatively small area to park off the busy roadway, then a gate to prevent cars from going further. In we went. After we were safely away from the road, I let him off lead as I always do in the woods, as he has a dependable recall. We spent the next hour and a half having fun exploring this new area. On the way back, right when I wanted to get his leash on, he scented something and ran ahead. I called and started quick-stepping (I can't run anymore), worried about him getting too close to the road. When I reached him he was grinning and covered in...poop. But this was no ordinary poop. Some suffering human must have pulled over and run into the woods to do their emergency business. I had one towel with me in case he got wet. It was winter, but we drove home with the windows half down anyway. It was THE most disgusting thing I have ever experienced!!! But he was happy...until bathtime!

Posted by: Topher | December 31, 2017 5:47 PM    Report this comment

I ran a 501c3 rescue for several years, very small, foster home based. My friend and I went to northern Ohio to pick up 3 puppies from a family who wanted to breed bull terriers but had never had one. When we arrived at the meeting point, the couple said they had found a home for one of the puppies but still needed to surrender the 2 female puppies.
The babies were 3 months old and absolutely adorable. We started the 2 hour return trip and were about 1-1/2 hours in when I received a call from the foster family. They had changed their minds and didn't want to foster dogs.
My friend and I each decided we could handle a puppy and took them home. Long story short, we are both HUGE foster failures. BTW I also said never gonna have another puppy....sigh

Posted by: Chudleighs mom | December 31, 2017 12:03 PM    Report this comment

I live in central Calif. Six years ago I adopted a puppy from a high kill shelter in the Dallas TX area. I had seen her photo online and it screamed to me " I am your dog" so I called to see if they did out of state adoptions despite the fact I had said I would never get another puppy. Those famous last words! lol

I had to have her out by a certain date but could not get there for a week so a friend in that area went to get her and take her to her vet to board her until I could come. Her own dog did not like puppies, It was a good thing she was boarded as she had giardia and the vet started treatment on that.

A little over a week later I flew to Texas to pick up the puppy. I did have my crate with me and had put a folded towel in the bottom. She was a larger puppy so would have to fly as checked baggage. On the drive back to the airport the air suddenly had the smell of poop. I recalled passing a Petsmart on the way from the airport and knew it was close to where I was so I found it.

I left puppy in crate went inside went inside and explained my situation. They loaned me scissors to cute the towel in half so I would still have something absorbent on the bottom of the crate. Puppy had some poop on her as it was soft so next they allowed me to bring her in and use a sink and paper towels to clean off her stinky bottom. Thanks to PetSmart we arrived at the airport with a clean crate and smelling good so they were able to accept her as checked baggage and we made our flight home and the 1.5 hr drive home from the Burbank Airport with no more issues. It turned out that Texas Chaos was indeed my dog as the feeling I got when I saw her photo had told me.

An added side note is boarding her at that vets for a week was a Godsend as they spoiled her and even 6 years later she thinks vets are the best people and gets as excited as a kid at Disneyland when we go to the vets!

Posted by: Dashdog | December 29, 2017 12:19 PM    Report this comment

This was a good laugh! After about 10 years of transporting rescue dogs, I have seen just about everything! LOL I have learned well from others and from mistakes I myself made early on in transporting. Probably the funniest transport occurred early in my transport days before I had built up a cadre of crates. I asked my husband to accompany me as there were MANY puppies. I brought only one crate (MISTAKE!) that I put the three tiniest siblings in my front seat. The rest of them included 3 duck toller mixes, and 4 lab pups - all about 8-10 weeks old. It was night time, so I wrongly assumed all would be sleeping in the back of my vehicle with my husband there to oversee them. Well, I would have loved to see the reactions of all of the drivers next to me on the interstate as the tollers and labs proceeded to explore every nook and cranny of the car and then try to perch themselves on my head, on top of the one crate I had, and then climbing all over my husband. 0h my dog... We all got to our destination safely, and they did eventually fall asleep... 10 minutes before we arrived at the next stop. Thankfully, the next transporter had crates!!! The next day, I promptly went to Petco and bought crates! Lesson learned!!! :)

Posted by: CandyMac | December 28, 2017 7:59 PM    Report this comment

Hilarious! I think you are heroic, Nancy.
So many of the comments gave me such a great feeling about generosity and love. Thank you!

Posted by: jd-s | December 28, 2017 5:52 PM    Report this comment

My friend got her current dog from down South, a German Shepard/bull Mastiff mix. I was there the day the pup go off the "bus" and my friend went to get her. Chara was covered in poop and pee and Michelle had to have her on her lap on the way home as her husband refused to do it. I was at her house with my little Yorkie to greet Chara. Michelle walked in with the dog and both STUNK to high heaven. Chara immediately went into the tub to get washed, but Michelle kind of forgot that SHE stunk to and kept her puppy poo and pee clothes on.

All in all, it was quite an interesting, stinky day!

Posted by: Sportschick | December 28, 2017 5:02 PM    Report this comment

I was on a weeks vacation trip across the country to a friends wedding with a shepherd who didn't like to travel at all - and we were in a rental minivan. I had all 3 dogs (50 pounds and up), 2 adults (me and hubby), and our 6 year old son.

The shepherd was very stressed so she was blowing coat like you wouldn't believe (to the point of changing the color of the upholstery). We stopped at a store within an hour of home and picked up some cheap white bedsheets and covered the seats and floors.

We also found out on this trip that she was a shy pooper (wouldn't pooh in any area aside from her own back yard (she'd only been in the car around our home town). She was having to be leashed walked for potty times so she was refusing to pooh at all. She went 3 days holding it. At the 3 day mark we'd left the dogs crated in the hotel room while we humans went to the rehearsal and the dinner. Upon return to the room we were "gifted" with an atrocious smell as she'd not been able to hold it any longer and had poohed throughout her crate, gotten the carpet outside the crate and the wall she was next too. It looked like she'd literally exploded with poop. We got it all cleaned up with tons of paper towels, trips to the grocery store for cleaners and a shampoo for her. We also stopped by a Budget rental location and picked up some plastic covers used for protecting furniture while moving - which we used under and around her crate to protect the carpet, walls or furniture she might be close to.

After that trip I don't travel with out having a cleaner bag packed (it stays in my vehicle all the time). It consists of paper towels, upholstery cleaner, any other cleaners that could be used to clean vehicle or dog, wet wipes, cheap white sheets (bleachable), sheet plastic (in case of a shy pooper), tape, disposable gloves, towels (also white and bleachable) and a trash bag or two.

Posted by: MissyP | December 28, 2017 3:37 PM    Report this comment

My most memorable transport was a bunch of Chihuahua mixes. When one of the dogs tried to eat me, I was quite surprised to find out after turning them over to the next leg of transport, that this particular dog had NO teeth!!! It could only have gummed me!!! I have crates in my car, so they were in place the whole time, it was only when trying to get them out that that one tried to make his attitude known.

Posted by: LBNash | December 28, 2017 3:21 PM    Report this comment

After years of Weimaraners rolling in various disgusting things, I discovered hand sanitizer. Get a large container of hand sanitizer and keep it, along with a roll of paper towels, in the car. It is amazingly effective at getting the worst of the stink off the dogs so that you can be in the confines of a car without getting ill yourself.

Posted by: SallyB | December 28, 2017 3:10 PM    Report this comment

I have never fostered but when we got our first dog, an 8 week old chocolate lab puppy, he sat in my lap on the long hour and a half drive from the breeder to our home. Thankfully they gave us an old worn out towel because Hershey vomited at least twice on the drive. My in-laws lived around the halfway point so we stopped to let our new puppy collect himself a bit and be introduced to his new family. This was also at the end of summer/early fall and was still quite warm out. A very smelly ride home indeed! He didn't grow out of his carsickness until he reached nearly 1 year old! Our 2nd dog was a big black lab. One summer day when he was a young adult dog, we were all in the car, he in the backseat. I was driving and while at a stoplight waiting to make a left turn, our dog decided he had to go potty in the worst way and began climbing out the window in the midst of busy traffic! I yelled to my husband next to me in front seat, to grab him and pull him back inside. All he could do is hang on to him hanging out the window until I could complete the turn once the light turned green and could pull into a parking lot. It was very scary at the time but now wonder what the other drivers that day were thinking watching what was happening in our car!

Posted by: SueW | December 28, 2017 1:51 PM    Report this comment

Well, this was timely. I've had some combination of Irish, Gordon and a couple of English Setters since 1969, and my present Gordon and I have had a hole in our hearts after losing my four-year-old precious Irish Setter this past August. So I spent Christmas Day driving from Los Angeles to Phoenix to pick up my carefully planned, long-awaited, much anticipated nine-week-old Irish Setter puppy. We stayed overnight in a Motel 6 and drove back to L.A. the next day. I have a minivan with three crates permanently installed, so that wasn't an issue. He didn't throw up, didn't poop or pee, the worst I can say is that he wailed for about 30 seconds when we started out. So I have no "dogmares," just a happy puppy transport story. Best Christmas ever!

Posted by: GiftofGalway | December 28, 2017 12:27 PM    Report this comment

From years of transporting dogs - both rescues, my own to shows or events and litters of pups to Vet appointments, etc., I've learned you don't leave without a fresh box of baby wipes, new roll of paper towels, several sets of clean crate rugs or towels, large and small plastic bags to contain the messy stuff, a bottle of no-rinse shampoo, some hand towels or washcloths, and a fresh bottle of Odo-Ban. You can't expect young pups or dogs not used to car rides to get far without making a mess, or several messes.
My longest ride was with a mother and her litter of 7, 6 week old pups, on a trip from western Ohio to North Carolina. I set up an ex-pen for the pups in the van where the rear seats had been removed, and put mom in a crate int eh back where mom and pups could see each other. At rest stops she went into the ex-pen to nurse and play with them. Lots of clean up stops were made, but the trip, 3 day visit with a friend and return trip was a success.

Posted by: Toadhall | December 28, 2017 12:24 PM    Report this comment

All ended OK, but I was a nervous wreck! I was driving two legs of a transport. I had crates and spaces to tether all the assigned pups coming out of southern Kentucky rescues. But. I got a text about another dog whose driver had car trouble but could get to me in an hour. Older female fixed beagle named Sugar. So I waited. She'd be in the front passenger seat, but she could curl up and fit. What showed up was a male unfixed young adult long-legged coonhound mix. Not only could he not curl up in the passenger seat, he wanted to stand in the seat with his head looking out the window. Scared me to death and required several stops to adjust seat, tether, seatback, etc. At one point while buzzing along on the interstate, with the big boy looking out the window, I realized his 'boy parts' were at my eye level and about 12 inches away! Memorable, for sure. He got to his new home and got a new name - Ruger.

Posted by: Shawna915 | December 28, 2017 12:01 PM    Report this comment

Might've named your article something else. Don't want people thinking Foster Puppies are more work than they're worth, right. But puppies are like kids who get car sick. Inner ear imbalance. So kids are put in the middle of the front seat. Which is why it's helpful to crate (stabilize) a dog in the rear. I put mine against the back of the minivan driver's seat. My 2nd & 3rd rows are removed. And do a tie-down on that crate to keep it in place. Don't feed the dog before a trip. Spare crates (which people should always have) can be obtained through garage sales/craigslist, and thrift stores. Just bleach them thoroughly down before use, and dry in the sunshine. I have 2 (plus my own) adult crates, 2 wire crates, and 3 puppy crates, stored. You'd be surprised how many folks make use of my spares! If you're going to have dogs, crates are a must. And NO they're not "prisons" but safe dens which appeal to the dog's natural instincts, if used properly!

Posted by: Pacific Sun | December 28, 2017 11:52 AM    Report this comment

Oh my goodness. I'm so sorry you had to go through all this. I'm not a foster home, so I've never transported like you have, but even taking the dogs to the vet, I try to prepare for the worst case scenario as I've learned my lesson over the years. I keep a plastic grocery bag or two in the car as well as a small roll of paper towels, I always have wipes in my purse. When we moved here several years ago I dosed my husband and I (we were in separate vehicles) and the dogs with Rescue Remedy before we left and while on the 10 hour drive to our new place. Thankfully, we had no incidents of vomiting or pooping in the car, but we did have a potentially serious sitiation while at a rest stop. One of the dog's leather leashes broke and she could have run away. Praise God she didn't. Because of that I never use leather leashes and always carry one of those non clipping leashes in the car - you know the kind that you just make a loop and it goes over the dog's head and has a hand loop on the other end? Something else I've learned when taking my dogs somewhere, is to loop a longe line through some cargo hooks in the back of my SUV and hook their choak collar to the longe line. I make the longe short enough that 1) the dog can't jump into the front seat (I have recently bought a barrier that goes between the front seats), and 2) when I open the back liftgate, they can't jump out and run off. Of course, I'm only transporting one dog at a time. I'd have to come up with a different game plan if I had more than one dog in the car. Anyway, thanks for the article. It wasn't funny to you, but I must admit I was chuckling while reading your recount of the journey. I'm forwarded the article to a friend who is with a rescue organization who brought us our most recent adoptee (5 months ago), a 12 year old deaf English Springer Spaniel named Romeo. God bless you and the rest of the fosters and transporters!

Posted by: DonnaL | December 28, 2017 11:50 AM    Report this comment

I love your stories. I was reminded of a trip we took some 20 years ago from NJ to NC mountains. We were moving. We had 7 feral cats, one normal cat and one large Bouvier. The trip took about 14 hours and we had no choice but to drive straight through. In the back of a Jeep Grand Wagoner (very large) we were able to fit 8 crates for the cats - 4 on the bottom and 4 on top. There was breathing room for everyone. I will skip the part about getting all the cats in the crates. Our Bouvier was in the back seat with me, pacing the entire time and all of the cats couldn't hold it for that long. We only stopped at gas stations and got quick food to eat in the car and water for the dog. Between the pacing and the smell (no way to fix that), we were all tired and smelly and verging on nautious when we arrived - only to find that the moving truck was lost somewhere and we had nothing but what was in our car. We slept on the floor (in a rental that we had not previously seen) with the few blankets we had. We put the feral cats in the basement (with food, water and kitty litter) and the normal cat and Bouvier were happy to sleep with us on the floor. For anyone that is wondering, all the feral cats were spayed and neutered and had their first set of shots. I could touch some of them if I moved slowly - and when we built our house, we added a room in the bottom level for them with a cat door and shelves to sit and see outside. We had 184 acres and they all but one lived a fairly healthy and long life. Best we could do at the time.

Posted by: bet4dogs | December 28, 2017 11:49 AM    Report this comment

OMG! What a horror story. Back when I was raising, training and boarding Jack Russells, all my new pups got crate trained and socialized by going into a crate and taking slow rides up the rode to a neighborhood convenience store. No problem with them, ever. The breeder where I got my 2 pups from had been recovering from quadruple bypass surgery when a pup named Sizzler should have been socialized. She gave me the 8 month old Sizzler. She was afraid of everything, including my daughter who held her in her lap all the way home. There was a towel on my daughter's lap which was good because Sizzler barfed. We chalked it up to having to go over several mountains. But even slow trips to the store made her barf. Medicating her didn't help. To take her anywhere, I'd have to get her into one of the bathrooms, where there was no place to hide. I swear that dog had ESP! Then I rescued an older terrier, Elmo, who had a low self esteem. I entered him in an agility class. Hmmm... Why not Sizzler? The crate was lined with newspaper. I had my bottle of watered vinegar and plenty of paper towels. Even having Elmo with us didn't help. The first class was traumatic for her. The 2nd was better. (Still barfing to and from) The 3rd? She enjoyed it. Even wagged her tail. No barfing on the way home. When we were about to leave for her 4th class I said, "Let's go hup-hup." She was ready to go before I was. My current rescues? Chance loves to go even if he still has fear aggression issues. Trooper was a very submissive Jack Russell. Now, almost 12, he's not wild about going anywhere but will tolerate it because he knows we'll have fun. Heaven help me if I forget to line the crate with several layers of newspapers, plus take paper towels, when I take Spudley anywhere. He'll barf to and from, even if it's a fun place. I still smile years later at the look of relief that Spudley had when the 2nd night after the derecho I decided we'd sleep in the van. It had been 105 degrees outside, we had no power. By 8:30 that night, the inside temp was still at 100 but it was 85 outside. So I loaded crates and dogs in the van. Spudley nearly had a heart attack. Then I opened the hatch window and turned off the back light. I got in, turned on the radio for a bit and we didn't go. Anywhere.

Posted by: Cindie M | December 28, 2017 11:35 AM    Report this comment

Malie and I made many trips to Toronto and she literally paced back and forth in the back seat nearly the whole way there...but she was not sick. I tried the other tricks, short of a crate. We were coming home, had gone through the border crossing, and it was another 40 minutes or so to the rest plaza. I thought I smelled something, but wasn't sure...until we got there and I saw she had pooped in the back seat. Luckily I always have a roll of paper towels and a trash bag, so I was able to clean her up as needed and put everything in the sealed bag. As for using the way back area of any car, 1. I find it hard to believe that exhaust fumes could get in, as it would be in the car and impact all passengers, 2. I have a friend who is a petsitter. While she has conniptions if she sees a dog in someone's lap while driving and refuses to go further if one is like that in the car in which she is traveling, she does not hesitate to place dogs in the way back of her PT Cruiser. The insanity of that, the liability, the potential horror and guilt should she be rear-ended makes ME crazy.

Posted by: robin r | December 28, 2017 11:21 AM    Report this comment

This isn't a foster/rescue story, but my own dog story. Driving home from
the Lake Berryessa area after a long Art/Craft show weekend. Josie, my
ESS sitting in the front seat started moving around, restless, uncomfortable
etc. She was the best traveler, so I was a bit concerned. We are on Highway
5, no rest stops, gas stations etc. Oh yeah, did I mention pouring rain?
She just couldn't hold it, poop every where! Had a soft seat cover, totally
ruined! Anyway, finally got back to civilization, (Roseville). Stopped at first
gas station, ran to restroom for towels. Cleaned up best I could. Poor Josie,
she was so embarrassed. Still another two hours to home. Windows open
all the way! Got a heavy duty seat cover. Still have it! Josie is gone now,
So when I travel with my Aussie, we stop every two hours. He always Pees!
Gotta love the boys!

Posted by: tincat | December 28, 2017 11:20 AM    Report this comment

My husband went after work (in business clothes) to pick up a Golden we were going to foster. He seat belted her in the passenger seat behind the driver's seat. She barfed all over him and the car.....but she was a great dog who had come out of a domestic violence situation (the husband had previously slashed the Golden on her head she had a huge scar). All turned out well she went to a great home.

Posted by: Olivia | December 28, 2017 11:07 AM    Report this comment

I adopted a greyhound named Dennis from a rescue that was about 3 hours away from my home. They very kindly drove him up to my house. I learned later that he was a bit bored on the ride and ended up chewing through both seatbelts in the back of the transporter's brand new car. The rescue implemented a rule that all transported hounds must now wear muzzles. I call it the "Dennis" rule.

Posted by: YIKMDLF | December 28, 2017 10:56 AM    Report this comment

I've been fostering for over 7 years and have never encountered such a situation.
However, we always go prepared for the worse and advise transporters NOT TO FEED the dogs/pups before transports for the very reason that getting car sick can happen. Also, when I purchased my last car I knew it had to be crate friendly, hence the SUV crossover was the pick. Everyone in the transport is emailed what they need to provide, crates, leashes, harness, etc...so that we can ensure the safety of the dogs in transport and the ease of moving from one car to the next.
Be a boy scout - always be prepared.

Posted by: JKRiddle | December 28, 2017 10:47 AM    Report this comment

There is something wrong with your car if it leaks exhaust into the inside of the vehicle. What about third row seating?
Some dogs just get car sick that's all. What a funny story!

Posted by: Gio's Mom | December 28, 2017 10:45 AM    Report this comment

From what i've heard, the way back of a vehicle is unsuitable for travel due to car exhaust that sneaks into the vehicle from the exhaust pipe back there. So that may have been the cause of your sick puppies.

Posted by: meanmorgan | December 28, 2017 10:24 AM    Report this comment

I've had the poopy, vomit-y experiences numerous times, but almost all of them with the canines confined to crates, thank goodness. Once though, I was transporting an adolescent dog who seemed quite calm and a good car traveler, from previous very short jaunts around town. So I allowed him to hop into the back seat; I was driving along when suddenly it dawned on me that there was a weird, soft, munching sound coming from back there. I pulled over to check it out, but not before Mr. Chewy Teenage Dog had pretty much eradicated one of the back armrests. I've also had dogs chew completely though seat belts, gnaw off the gear shift knob, and have diarrhea that ended up in crevices that I never knew existed before that moment! But I'd transport again in a heartbeat; networks of willing drivers who get dogs to the loving homes they deserve are so important. Oh, and I've hung onto one old, pretty beat up vehicle that we laughingly refer to as the 'Dogmobile'--whatever happens to the interior of it is really no big deal anymore.

Posted by: Kris B-W | December 28, 2017 10:18 AM    Report this comment

I was transporting 4 Shelties from Columbus to Toledo. I had a Toyota 4Runner, with the back seats down and a metal barrier between the back and the front. It was my very first transport ever, so I was completely unprepared. One got sick, and I had nothing to clean it up and keep the others out of it. I stopped at a Meijer to get paper towels. As I was trying to get them out of the back, they all came charging when the gate was lifted. The next hour was spent chasing them over the parking lot. At least I had the sense to park at the side away from the front doors of the store, so they were mostly in the area where there were no cars. I was in a panic, afraid of them getting hurt or worst, lost. I managed to get all 4 of them back in the SUV, and off we went to our destination. Thankfully, the experience did not prevent me from transporting again. :-)

Posted by: KGM | December 28, 2017 9:56 AM    Report this comment