Whole Dog Journal's Blog April 9, 2012

The Dog Ate My (fill in the blank)

Posted at 10:26AM - Comments: (9)

It’s one of the oldest excuses known to man, perhaps even pre-dating man’s willingness to share a home with dogs. But every once in a while it’s true: The dog DID eat something critical.

Seattle resident Russ Berkman came home from work one day and found some tiny scraps of paper and elastic on the floor. A minute’s worth of detective work confirmed that the scraps were all that was left of four tickets to the 2012 Masters (golf) Tournament in Augusta, Georgia – and that the culprit was his Swiss Mountain Dog, Sierra.

After what was sure to be at least a few minutes of mourning the loss of the tickets – which he bought after winning the opportunity to do so in a ticket lottery Berkman called his girlfriend to tell her that their trip to Georgia was off. She was the one who suggested administering a bit of hydrogen peroxide to Sierra, in hopes that the dog would vomit the tickets up. With at least $1,200 worth of once-in-a-lifetime tickets at stake, Berkman gave it a try. And Sierra did vomit up a glob of paper pulp.

Well, once you’ve gone that far, you have to finish the project. Berkman carefully rinsed the scraps he found in the pile of vomit, and laid the pieces out on paper towels, reconstructing the tickets like a puzzle. It took him, he said, “about three cocktails” worth of time. About 30 percent of the tickets were lost to Sierra’s digestion, but there was enough of the tickets left to convince the Augusta National Golf Club ticket office that Berkman did, in fact, have enough of the tickets in his possession to ensure that he had, in fact, a legitimate excuse to require the printing of a replacement set of tickets.

Photos of the dog, the vomit, and the reconstructed tickets can be found on the Website of sports talk radio station KJR, which interviewed Berkman on the air.

http://www.sportsradiokjr.com/pages/Mitch_in_the_Morning.html?article=9985184

Comments (9)

When my husband and I were on our honeymoon, friends critter-sitted for us. When we came home, they had decorated the house with ballons. A couple of days later, as I was cleaning up the backyard, when I found very techni-color poop. I'm guessing some of the ballons were popping during the decoration (one dog was very ball-oriented), and small pieces of rubber were ingested by one or both dogs. Initially, it scared the daylights out of me. Luckily, no ill effects other than a colorful backyard!

I also had a Dalmatian that would eat my husband's socks every once in a while. I would find them when cleaning up the backyard. Thankfully, she also never suffered any ill effects. We never saw her eat them, and each time I chalked it up to another sock "lost" in the laundry, until I would find it outside. I believe she had the cleanest colon ever!

Posted by: tanya | April 14, 2012 4:30 PM    Report this comment

My female Shih Tzu had a habit of swallowing anything - edible or not. One day, I noticed her stools had orange squares mixed with them. The following day, yellow squares were mixed with her stools, followed by a different color everyday ranging from green, red, blue then white. Days later, I found the skeleton of the Rubik's cube. (At least I know she ate those squares in a very orderly/organized way!) Then, another time my husband was freaking out that he couldn't find his Ipod earphones. The following day, he finally found them - one earphone on each side of her poops! Thank God on both occasions her appetite was not affected nor was her general well-being.

Posted by: Maricia | April 11, 2012 6:37 AM    Report this comment

We had a Boxer named Dexter who ate, on separate occasions, a plastic bag (which came out whole), colored pencils, crayons, diapers (fully loaded ;)), & a huge pile of sticks (which almost killed him).

Posted by: KAREN D | April 10, 2012 3:12 PM    Report this comment

Genuine white pearl earrings turn dull gray-black when recycled through a two year old German Shepherd.

Posted by: Sue S | April 10, 2012 2:17 PM    Report this comment

Never be without hydrogen peroxide. My corgi will eat anything. Once, he ate two ibuprofen, which can cause kidney damage at that dosage. Another time he found something under the bed at a motel, swallowing it just as I came out of the bathroom. Not knowing what it was, I gave him hydrogen peroxide and he threw up a piece of chewing gum. Again, some artificial sweeteners for gum are very dangerous for dogs, so thank goodness for the hydrogen peroxide. Just like my Amex, I "don't leave home without it"!

Posted by: Sharon S | April 10, 2012 11:05 AM    Report this comment

Some years back, I noticed our first Golden in the back yard doing his business, but not business as usual. He seemed to be having a terrible time of it, so I rushed out to take a look. I was shocked to see a long somewhat snake-like object materializing from his rectum. I rushed back into the house, grabbed a rubber glove, and commenced to gingerly assist in the passage of this foreign object. When finally retrieved to the relief of dog and man, upon closer inspection it was noted to be a pair of my wife's panty hose. Hunter suffered no ill effects and went about his usual chores. I, on the other hand, had to calm down for a few minutes before returning to the house to tell my wife what had transpired.

Posted by: HERBERT K | April 10, 2012 10:58 AM    Report this comment

As a kid, my brother was always losing his woolen gloves. He told my mother he didn't lose it, Camino ate the glove. My mother punished him for lying. A week later the Boxer ate my father's whole pack of cigarettes and you guessed it, up came the entire glove.

Posted by: Unknown | April 10, 2012 10:31 AM    Report this comment

Many years ago a foster dog ate my diamond earrings - they once belonged to my great grandmother, so the monetary value was nothing compared to the sentimental value - although the monetary value was up there!

I simply followed the dog around when she went out to do her business, carefully picking up her poop and put it in a planting basket for our water garden (not solid, made of firm plastic mesh) and simply washed away the feces until I found my earrings two days after she ate them!

The earrings then sat in a peroxide bath for about 24 hours, then in alcohol, and then were thoroughly cleaned with a toothbrush before I even considered wearing them again!

Posted by: RottiMomCT | April 10, 2012 10:19 AM    Report this comment

I was eating dinner when I lost a crown on my tooth. I realized what I happened and took it out of my mouth and placed in on a napkin on the table. As I got up from my chair my Samoyed decided this was his chance to check out what was in the napkin. I called the dentist and told him I had lost a crown. He wanted my to bring the crown in so he could reset it. I said I needed to wait a few days before I came into the office with the crown. I'll spare you the details!

Posted by: Jacquie B | April 10, 2012 7:15 AM    Report this comment

New to Whole Dog Journal? Register for Free!

Already Registered?
Log In