Whole Dog Journal's Blog June 6, 2018

Dog Food Delivery Service: Buying Dog Food Online is a Real Time-Saver

I have a confession to make: I LOVE pet food delivery services.

I know, I know: we are first and foremost supposed to support our local pet supply store. Believe me, if I had one in my town, I would not be writing these words. The closest independent pet supply store is 30 miles from me, and believe me, when I go to that town for any reason at all, I also go to that store and buy stuff. (Shout-out to my friends at Trailblazer Pet Supply!)

dog in a box

This is not an endorsement of this particular company, but you have to admit (if you have ever received one) that the cardboard boxes food arrives in are super sturdy and reusable, like for a fun game of "101 Things to Do With a Box."

In my town, we have a chain pet supply store, and I was super glad when they opened a store here a few years ago; it meant that there were at least a few foods I could pick up there, and at least a few toys, leashes, and other items that meet my standards for safety and quality.

When I want really cool, top-quality stuff made by U.S. manufacturers, I go to the independent stores. And I mean, any independent pet supply store I see open in any town in any state I travel to. My family members all groan when they see me spot a “pet supply” sign when we are on vacation, because they know we are going to pull over and they are going to have to amuse themselves for at least a half-hour while I walk the aisles and chat with the employees. (Independent store owners all stock different, unique stuff that grabbed them at one or two of the huge annual pet supply trade shows, and I think of them as curators; almost every independent store offers something that I’ve never seen before.)

But, guys, when I open the dog food container and all of a sudden it’s incredibly low, or I’m feeding a starving mama and her nine growing puppies and going through food at an unpredictably fast rate and I’ve been crazy-busy putting the magazine to bed and haven’t so much as taken a shower for a couple of days, being able to punch up my favorite online store and order food and have it on my porch in two days – you guys, that’s a blessing.

mother dog and nursing puppies

Nine puppies to feed means Mama needs some extra help.

Mama is not keeping up with the demand, and I just ordered five pounds of milk-replacing formula to get us through the next couple of weeks. And the dry puppy food I like to soften in formula and feed to the growing pups is not one I can get in my very close chain store, OR my favorite independent store 30 miles away. Yes, I could have them order it, and wait a week, and drive a half-hour over there and a half-hour back… but no, placing an online order is just too easy. And when you are feeding four big dogs – Otto, Woody, my tenant’s dog (I don’t know exactly how this happened, but here we are…) and the foster mom – food goes much faster than my fractured attention span can keep up.

What about you guys? Are you using online dog food delivery? Or are you strongly against it?

I needed food in a hurry so I ordered from Petco thinking I'd get the points and it would be here quickly. Not.it was scheduled to deliver a week from when I ordered. Had to go to Chewy.com and buy an additional small bag and pay the shipping charge. It was at my door the next day.My mistake to think Petco was as good as Chew.

Posted by: suntankid | June 13, 2018 8:11 AM    Report this comment

As a small business owner I'm grateful for all the people who still "shop small" when and where they can. I do my best too, but still need what I need. For pet supplies I found the best of both worlds in a private label company who went with a social selling model so everyday pet lovers could not only make a difference for their pets with quality product, but could also make a difference in their lives through an opportunity that allows them to earn income doing what we all love most - Talking about pets!!! PawPalsUSA

Posted by: catsNdogs | June 11, 2018 9:25 PM    Report this comment

I LOVE purchasing my products online. With so little time now-a-days to actually get to the stores, Chewy has been my go to. I do still visit my local stores to purchase specialty items or maybe a food they no longer have access to. The neat thing about Chewy, I am able to refer my clients to them for items I recommend they use for their dogs. No longer do I have to hunt stores to find items to recommend or drives miles for one item. I still love my independent stores and shop there as often as possible. But for my daily needs, online it is.

Posted by: RobinT | June 11, 2018 6:11 PM    Report this comment

We live in North Central Washington and it is either two or three hours to a real pet store. Local grocery stores carry some pet products but buying from an online store is the only way I have a choice in food and other pet products. I order from Chewy.com because the prices are better and the fast delivery is the only way to go for me. I have also found that pet stores aren't always what they say they are.

Posted by: Gramma Sandie | June 11, 2018 10:10 AM    Report this comment

To kimfatty-- thank you for the info. I'll check it out. I had called several local stores but their prices were through the roof. It seems that the brand of green tripe that I buy is temporary out of stock everywhere.

Posted by: Czerny | June 10, 2018 10:12 PM    Report this comment

I used to buy from Chewy's, they were bought out by Pets Mart and stopped selling Fromms so I now buy my food at Pets Barn where I can get the 12th bag free. That's a bargain because I have 5 dogs I have to feed. Plus when I go to the store I won't have to worry about the food being stolen by porch pirates, that has happened before.

Posted by: Denise5626 | June 10, 2018 7:06 PM    Report this comment

I TRIED supporting three local feed supply stores for years
They never carry the food I want so itís always a special order situation
They forget to order it
They donít tell me itís not coming
They donít tell me if the price has increased til I go to get it

Theyíve let me run out several times even with well in advance ordering
And one of the stores the so called pet food expert kept telling me my food criteria was stupid and I should buy this product instead....

No more
I order online now
Mostly from Chewy.com

It comes to my door
I know instantly if out of stock, or price has increased
No one forgets to order it for me
And the prices are way less than a retail store

Posted by: rottlady | June 10, 2018 6:07 PM    Report this comment

I used to use both Chewy online and a local Pet Supplies Plus. The foods I use can be very expensive locally. Pet Supplies Plus was great because they match online prices. Were usually already cheaper. Used Chewy for many years. Once Chewy was purchased by PetSmart things changed. The quality foods I loved stopped selling through them because they are now a big box store. Unfortunately the local Pet Supplies Plus in Chester has gone out of business. So I am once again in search of a reliable source of quality dog food.

Posted by: STORMSTHUNDER | June 9, 2018 9:15 AM    Report this comment

My two cents: first I support my local independent feed store - always have, always will. They know us, know what our needs are, and provide us with excellent service. They have a great relationship with the maker of our food and guarantee freshness. My issue with purchasing food online is that the integrity of the food cannot be guaranteed - temperatures vary greatly between shipping from kitchen to trucking to warehouse storage. The maker of our food will not use online outlets like Chewy because of these issues. Thanks for reading...

Posted by: dogwoman | June 8, 2018 10:17 PM    Report this comment

Our local specialty feed store is less expensive than on-line and the 12th bag is free, as is personal local delivery, so there is no beating that. They specialize in top of the line foods and give unbiased opinions. It nice to have conversations with like minded grownups rather than just type on a keyboard to a faceless clerk.

Posted by: Snap | June 8, 2018 7:16 PM    Report this comment

I'm very disappointed to hear so many folks going to the online retailers. Your local pet food stores contribute to your local economy in so many more ways than the online retailers. Your local pet stores were the first to support, carry, and back the Whole Dog Journal dog food picks way before online was popular. When the online corporations finally succeed in putting every independent out of business, do you really think their prices will continue to be low? Local Pet food stores give back to your community, support local animal rescues, and the tax dollars kept in your community give you better roads and infrastructure. Most local pet stores usually can get any product for you, it just may take a bit of set up at first. Our store has ALWAYS delivered to your door but we still lose customers to Chewy because of their aggressive marketing tactics. Keep in mind what may happen in the not so distant future . . . your local pet stores close, your online stores raise their prices, your shipping will no longer be free, local rescue organizations will have no local support, your car gets damaged by pot holes in the roads that never get fixed, and the list goes on and on. Really?? So you can save 15 minutes in your busy life? Sad:(

Posted by: ShopSmallKat | June 8, 2018 2:28 PM    Report this comment

My two cents: first I wholeheartedly support local independents and always will; secondly, my objection to purchasing dog food online is that there are no guarantees on how the food is handled when shipped from the kitchen where it is made, and how it is stored on trucks that get it to the consumer. Temperatures vary and cannot be guaranteed. The food I feed is not offered on Chewy because the maker cannot guarantee a consistent temperature in Chewyís warehouse. I love my local independent feed store....

Posted by: dogwoman | June 8, 2018 12:02 PM    Report this comment

I've been using Chewy for over 10 years now. I have five rescued cats, two feral and one now nine year old mixed rescue. I order everything except the Answers Raw food, which they do not carry. Their selection has grown tremendously. I even order cat litter and litter boxes. The prices are better and I have to work so having it show up at the door is a God Send!

Posted by: Doctor H | June 8, 2018 7:07 AM    Report this comment

I am very lucky to have an independent pet supply store in my town. I have been a long-time customer there and that is where I buy my dog's food. That said, I also am disabled and have noticed that since my local store has become more successful, customer service has gotten more impersonal and less helpful. The last time I was at the store, they didn't have one of my dog's foods and I was seriously running low. With no other alternative, I found that Chewy.com carried this food. I can't say enough about Chewy, as I've had nothing but great experiences with them. So, I will continue to patronize my local, independently owned store, but will also use Chewy when I need to. I am disabled, so I do what I need to do in order to take care of myself and my dog. This should not be a debate. We all have different challenges and limitations in our lives and we all do our very best for our dogs, so let's not be critical of one another or insist that there is ONLY ONE WAY.

Posted by: NMDogMom | June 8, 2018 1:34 AM    Report this comment

Living with a dog with severe allergies (food as well as environmental) is tough on many levels. "High-maintenance" is a gross understatement. But an unexpected downside is that I no longer can buy food and treats from my local pet store -- because they can't carry prescription diets.
I used to love shopping there. If they didn't have something, they'd get it for me (or at least try their very best). They are so knowledgeable and are always bringing in new products. When I had my previous dogs, I'd look forward to going there every four weeks. Such incredibly nice people. Ditto with the people who shop there (who doesn't love talking about their dog?).
So with few other options for his prescription food, I went to chewy.com. I have to say, they've been great. They're extremely responsive if there's a problem with an order, and if I have a question, I can speak with someone in the middle of the night (when I do much of my online shopping). My auto ship arrives (as it should) like clockwork.
My dog can only have one brand of treats (alligator), which is sold exclusively by the manufacturer, online. So online shopping enables me to get what I need for my dog, but there's not a bit of fun in it. Not like the time I used to spend at my local pet store.
I still buy toys for him there -- and I love that I can test squeak/grunt a long aisle-full before making my final selections -- but it's now only a once-in-a-while visit. My dog can't even have chewies (as per his internal medicine specialist). So now I spend my time and money on vet bills (dermatologist), his weekly baths, allergy medication, and his every-other-week allergy and B-12 shots. Oh, and his $20 for 7 ounces of alligator treat habit.
Online shopping is convenient, but it has no soul.

Posted by: Phoenix, NY | June 8, 2018 1:13 AM    Report this comment

Discussion forums such as this one, which basically leads good people to challenge and judge one another's beliefs, values, and opinions are of no benefit to anyone. In fact, they are divisive. We all love our dogs...we all do the best we know to the best of our abilities with what we have.

Posted by: LifeWithDogs | June 8, 2018 12:26 AM    Report this comment

As an independent store owner, I read this article and comments and I'm sad. My staff and I work hard and I provide lots of training so we can be knowledgeable and helpful to our customers. I heavily support my local rescues especially the small ones and I support my local schools with donations all the time. I pretty much donate to my local community anytime I'm asked. I check online prices and make sure I'm competitive. I believe if you ask your local store they will match online pricing or come close. Many foods have frequent buyer programs for their foods that are exclusive to independents and save you some money. Please support your local store. They are probably good people and will work with you if you give them the chance. And thank you for shopping local.

Posted by: RGC | June 7, 2018 10:24 PM    Report this comment

we have several local pet stores that carry many of the foods on the WDJ list AND they deliver. but if that werenít an option for me iíd absolutely be ordering online to get it delivered. fewer errands and less schlepping bags of food will always be a win in my book.

Posted by: llf | June 7, 2018 8:35 PM    Report this comment

My daughter is co-owner of Evermore Food for dogs. Evermore is a small company that sells super premium dog food , using whole food ingredients, made in a USDA kitchen and using only humanely raised animals in their sourcing. They started out selling through retailers but as an unknown company were not able to generate enough sales to survive in business as an unknown small company. It has only been through online sales that they have been able to grow and develop a devoted and growing customer base. There is a difference from ordering via a large entity such as Amazon or Chewy and ordering directly from a small "etailer" (a term that I just learned by reading some of the posted comments. Ordering directly from the company provides the highest margins and allows for the survival of new companies that are trying to provide the highest quality products. Think of it in the same way as buying directly from the artist. Anyway I hope that you will check out Evermore!

Posted by: Evermoremom | June 7, 2018 7:59 PM    Report this comment

I would much rather use local, but that means ordering by Monday afternoon, waiting until Friday for delivery and driving 20 miles to pick it up. I did ask, and got, my local store to meet the on-line price, so I use Grateful dog as often as convenient. However, if I need food fast (I'm currently feeding Honest Kitchen to 4 big dogs) I go to Chewy.
Dogladie

Posted by: Dogladie | June 7, 2018 6:49 PM    Report this comment

To Czerny: RAAWEnergy.com delivers raw frozen dog food of numerous varieties including green tripe throughout the Northeast at food coops and home deliveries including Brooklyn. They are from Adelphia NJ where they run a butcher business and have an extensive distribution network. I miss them having moved to Florida from Westchester County New York a year ago.
I do shop at Chewy's now because my dogs are all elderly and need special diets. They customer service is excellent and they have a good variety. I have not found any boutique pet supply stores in Florida but loved Choice Pet when I was in New York which had a great selection, albeit at a bit more expense than Petco, but the store personnel were quite knowledgeable.

Posted by: kimfatty | June 7, 2018 6:34 PM    Report this comment

I have been a Chewy customer for at least 5 years. I still go to my local "boutique" pet store and pick up a few different flavors of canned food, or extra treats between big orders, but the price difference is substantial, and when feeding 3 of my own, and often a foster or two (or ten), price is important. Most of my Chewy orders now arrive the next day, as they recently opened another distribution center near me.

Posted by: SBS | June 7, 2018 6:14 PM    Report this comment

If bags come from Chewy with holes they will replace and have you give the holey bag to a rescue group. In five year I have only had two bags like this.

Posted by: carpediemgsd | June 7, 2018 4:10 PM    Report this comment

Chewy is the way to go. I have 5 GSD's who go through a good bit of food every month plus their joint supplement. I also use Kelp as my two German line ones are blk/red. Kelp keeps their red "RED". It also is a vitamin supplement. I have no time to be going to pet stores trying to find the brands I use. lol

Posted by: carpediemgsd | June 7, 2018 4:08 PM    Report this comment

I totally LOVE Chewy!! My dog kibble (& other items) usually comes within 2-3 days. They guarantee the freshness & if you happen to have a manuf. coupon, you just call Chewy & they will apply the coupon to your next order. Also, I ordered some items last year around Dec. & needed to return some of it... I called for a return authorization & they told they would credit me for the items & to not mail them back, but to donate them to one of my local pet adoption centers. Very impressive!!

Posted by: dblack8050 | June 7, 2018 2:57 PM    Report this comment

I've considered, but haven't as yet...and reading these comments makes me feel less inclined in some ways...but I must say that related, I have SO appreciated so many places offering on line ordering for speedy in person pick up, especially when I am tired/exhausted, or it is hot and pup is with me etc...this goes for Home Depot, Pannera, Hello Bistro etc.

Posted by: robin r | June 7, 2018 2:42 PM    Report this comment

For some unknown reason, Amazon was out of what I needed to order for Zoe, so I tried Chewy. After 5 days I reported back that the package had not yet been received so they sent a replacement. The first bag eventually showed up and Chewy was kind enough to refund my original purchase. However, this took place in May 2018 and both bags had an expiration of June 2018. Not such great quality control! Next purchase will be local where I can see what Iím buying.

Posted by: Susiray | June 7, 2018 2:03 PM    Report this comment

I use Amazon for kibble delivery, I use a brand that has no grains, made in the USA uses only local products. High in protein and fat that my dogs need. Iím through giving injections of insulin to my babies because the manufacturer uses cheap grains. I also cook fresh vegetables to mix into their food . Freeze drying carrots, apples and green beans for treats. Harvest Right freeze dryer.
Love Amazon because there is no delivery charge with my Prime membership. And less expensive than my local independent store for the brand that my dogs like. Iím 75 and like everyone need to watch every penny.

Posted by: Majestic Mastiff | June 7, 2018 1:36 PM    Report this comment

I absolutely love this post and reading everyone's comments. I have always shopped around for pet food, best prices, best selection, brands etc. because I wanted to feed my dogs from the WDJ approved list! I have found that I can stick with one source for a while but mine or my dogs need change and I am off searching again. I adore our local boutique Pet Store but it is not convenient and quite expensive. I crossed PetSmart, Petco and Pet Supermarket off the list a long time ago for a number of reasons and cringe when I have to go in BUT these bigger stores help a lot of local rescues with events and funding, not to mention that not everyone can afford to feed "the best" or boutique choices. Two other stores in my area still hold promise, Pet Supplies Plus and Hollywood Feed (grown like crazy in Georgia) and I may have to turn to both of them soon. I have been using Chewy for about 2 years now and noticed that it had started to look and feel a lot like PetSmart to me. The higher end brands I was after were disappearing or out of stock on the site and I just learned from comments on this blog WHY...ugh. The perk to ordering on line is having the time to compare the labels, the reviews and the prices to determine what will be best for the fur kids and our wallet. Again, I appreciate this blog and the comments today and it has helped me determine that my days with Chewy are numbered if not already complete.

Posted by: Chchchanges | June 7, 2018 1:31 PM    Report this comment

I shop online at Chewy and Amazon for high-end kibble and freeze-dried raw foods, depending on the price fluctuations. I prefer Chewy for the customer service and the personal touches; and their agents are friendly and understanding. Because I also feed my dogs frozen raw green tripe patties, I make a bi-annual trip from Brooklyn to a small distributor in NJ to stock up my freezer. My local stores are limited in selection and more costly.

Posted by: Czerny | June 7, 2018 1:10 PM    Report this comment

I have been ordering from PET CHEF EXPRESS for several years now and have only positive experience with them. They have quality food, both dry and wet, and their prices are great. Better than Chewy or the company that bought them, plus there is no delivery or shipping charges because the company has outlets in most areas and deliver locally. I recently purchased a 5lb bag of quality Fromm dog food that cost almost as much as a 20lb bag of quality dog food from PET CHEF EXPRESS. They have also been listed in Whole Dog Journals food list of quality foods that is printed each year. Check them out. You won't be disappointed in quality, price and friendly convenience.

Posted by: GermanShepherdsRule | June 7, 2018 1:07 PM    Report this comment

I have 3 large dogs and 8 cats and I use Chewy to deliver my month's worth of dog food and treats and all the treats, dry food and 80 lbs. of cat litter for the cats. It is a blessing to have it delivered to my front door.

Posted by: Straykitty2 | June 7, 2018 12:19 PM    Report this comment

The Chewy is the premier company for customer service. Who else will offer an unsolicited refund when you leave a review that your pet didn't "like" the food you ordered? Who else inquires why you cancelled an autoship and then sends a beautiful bouquet when you email back that it's because you beloved friend has died? Who else calls you to double check when you inadvertently double-click on the order button? I shop local when I can, but these folks provide a service and selection that is unparalleled in today's busy world.

Posted by: jcrquilt | June 7, 2018 12:15 PM    Report this comment

I get why people like online convenience and sometimes better prices BUT we will rue the day when there is little in the way of local businesses and only mega-corporations that control our choices and purchases.

I support local businesses whenever possible. I live in a town of 18,000 and yes, prices for goods can be a bit cheaper in the city 1 hr drive away BUT if I want my town to thrive, employ locals and be part of my community, I will willingly pay up to 15% more for most items.

Posted by: mintyd | June 7, 2018 12:02 PM    Report this comment

How about running an article on the benefits of shopping at your local pet shop!!!!!!!

Posted by: ClaudiaL | June 7, 2018 12:00 PM    Report this comment

Yes purchasing online is convenient, however local quality independent pet stores offer more than just product selection. They offer knowledge and expertise. Did you know that Chewy has lost millions of dollars each year, but yet was purchased for billions recently by Petsmart? Where in the world can a company that loses money since inception garnish a big purchase price? They can on the backs of all the customers in the data base. Chewy and even Amazon are all about grabbing market share. You are not a customer, merely an email address and a revenue stream. There are many independent retailers and e-tailers that have genuinely great product selection and customer service. Yes, they have to charge more because unlike the Chewy's and Amazon's of the world they need to earn a profit to pay employees and to continue to be ale to buy great, thoughtfully selected products to offer. There are no financiers or venture capitalists waiting in the wings to lend money to the independents. Convenience comes at a price. As more and more mom and pops go out our business you will be hard pressed to find specific products and folks who have real product knowledge, know your name and your dog's name and are happy to chat with you and give your dog some "lovins" when you come in. Please do not abandon your local pet shops and e-tailers.

Posted by: ClaudiaL | June 7, 2018 11:58 AM    Report this comment

I use to buy from Chewy until they lo longer carried my dog food products. Then I found out they were bought out by Pet Smart. I now buy from a local small business which carries only prime products that Chewy does not. They carry some but none of the products I need. I agree, buy local.

Posted by: Golden lover of 3 | June 7, 2018 11:57 AM    Report this comment

I am not against buying dog food online. I am all for making my life easier. I am down from 2 small dogs to one now. She is pretty easy to feed. I feed Stella and Chewy frozen raw so can't get that online. I buy it from an independent pet store about 20 minutes/11 miles away.

Posted by: igliver66 | June 7, 2018 11:22 AM    Report this comment

I made my first order with Chewy only because the hip and joint supplement I like the best is over twice as expensive at my local independent store. I had been buying it there anyway but when Chewy was so much less I felt I had to switch. Also had a "first time customer" coupon so bought some of my regular food to have free shipping. When I heard they got bought out, I took a step back. Now with the information re Sean Hannity advertising, another step back. I dislike Amazon as a company (luckily I live in a metro area with many choices for excellent products at every price point) so I'll remain with my independent store at least for everything other than the supplement. Thanks for this post!

Posted by: Diana in Portland | June 7, 2018 11:18 AM    Report this comment

I use Chewy, convenient, less expensive then local retailer. I also shop at Dr's Foster & Smith, and also at PetsMart. I also shop some local independents. I think all have a place in my dog loving life. The big box places help support shelters, etc. At the local retailer's, I can work directly with them and the Pet Club I am president of to support our local shelters.

Posted by: MrNornef | June 7, 2018 10:57 AM    Report this comment

We started with Petflow.com years ago, then, when their operations were disrupted by Hurricane Sandy, we switched to Chewy.com, and were quite happy with them, too. However, we've latterly found that "bundling" our pet needs with other household consumables, using Amazon's Subscribe & Save offering, saves a bunch of money, so we reluctantly shifted our dog food, and some other regularly-used items like wipes, treats, and meal toppers, to Amazon. In fact, I have a box outside the garage door at this moment! In addition to getting what I want at a very attractive cost, the service saves me having to drive to a store, regardless of the weather, and run the risk of them being out of stock. Also, the regular cadence of deliveries makes it clear when someone is getting over- or under-fed. It also saves me gas and time.

Posted by: see2xu | June 7, 2018 10:51 AM    Report this comment

PLEASE SHOP LOCAL AND SMALL. Keep us in business. Chewy doesn't support our local 4H kids, local dog club raffles etc.

If you can't find the food that you want from your local independent store, just ask them they can get almost anything within a few days.

Dog show vendor

Posted by: S Hoots | June 7, 2018 10:48 AM    Report this comment

My problem with Chewy is the objectionable ads for aversive training callers (shock and prong) they plaster Facebook with.

Posted by: Onesadie | June 7, 2018 10:47 AM    Report this comment

I have been happy using Chewy, though I also like to support my very good local independent pet store. Here is an advantage no one has mentioned yet: I can go on line and quickly read the ingredients list and nutrition guide on many different foods. I like to feed my dogs a variety of foods, and this is so much more convenient than wrestling with large bags in a store, looking for the ingredients list.

Posted by: janee | June 7, 2018 10:29 AM    Report this comment

I too love the advantage of delivery food and other supplies. I live in the boonies outside a small town, and choice of brands here is limited. Next closest place is 50 miles, and that's a big chain pet store, which doesn't even handle my brand. After that it was 90 miles to store that had my brand (a health food store that often was out of stock for my food). I was delighted to find on-line stores that carry my brand.

I do order a lot from Chewy, but also sometimes from petflow.com. Same free shipping with $49 order, and sometimes a few things are a bit cheaper there, specials, etc. With both, I find their packing very good, sturdy boxes with packing filling if needed.

Posted by: Skillete 43 | June 7, 2018 10:29 AM    Report this comment

I support my local boutique pet supply store as they offer such a variety of foods and are extremely knowledgeable about product. They rotate their shelf product.

However, I order my prescription diet food online as it is so much less expensive. When I buy food online I buy from a large volume distributer as it will usually be more fresh than from a company with lower volume. I regularly visit a wholesale distribution site for several brands to pick up donations for rescue. Truly, unless your brand is made and shipped onsite directly to a store (and very, very little is these days), all food goes through a distributer of some type and that involves transport on trains and trucks. The only foods that are shipped in climate-controlled conditions are frozen foods and I wouldn't buy them by mail as USPS can't keep them cold.

I see you also foster puppies! I've been doing rescue for decades. I buy my puppy collars, leashes, and harnesses from Dollar Tree (store or online) and can sometimes find very inexpensive items at Oriental Trading Company (in-store and online). When the babies are going to chew items anyway (or poop on them), or I need bandannas or give-away items for events, these sites save me huge dollars and I don't feel badly if I need to toss them.

Posted by: Hannahbelle | June 7, 2018 10:22 AM    Report this comment

Alas, I used to appreciate the convenience of ordering from Chewy.com but since Chewy has continued to be an advertiser on the Fox Hannity program (true as of 6-5-18) I will no longer order from them. I have successfully found other online dog food delivery services who do not provide support to such objectionable content.

Posted by: CT_Dog_Lover | June 7, 2018 10:19 AM    Report this comment

We occasionally order online. But unfortunately we've found too many times the bag is not packaged for shipping well and the bag arrives with a hole in it somewhere. Since I have no way of knowing if the hole just happened or has been sitting in a warehouse for months like that, I can't feed that to my dogs.

So mostly we go to a store even though ours are also all about 30 miles away. At least I can see the expiration date and check the bag for damage.

Posted by: YIKMDLF | June 7, 2018 10:13 AM    Report this comment

I order dog food from Chewy.com all the time. After researching the Whole Dog Journal reports on dog foods, I went with a high quality one that has never had a recall. None of the chains or local pet food stores carry it. If they did, I would get it there to support my local store. However, I also found in the past that the local stores (not chains) were also much more expensive than ordering online. Consequently, I now order online. It's quick, easy, saves gas and it's always fresh.

Posted by: Kosmom | June 7, 2018 10:10 AM    Report this comment

Yes, I purchase online also. I buy my dog food, MaxMeat, from Only Natural Pet and other supplies from Chewy.com

Sometimes I go to my local PetFoodExpress.

Posted by: Lani | June 7, 2018 9:47 AM    Report this comment

18 months ago I moved 1500 miles away from my local independent dog food store. I discussed with her where
I could purchase my food and it looked like Chewy
would be the answer. Then Chewy got bought out and my
food would no longer be carried by them because the manufacturer did not trust the Big Stores to have quality control in storing of the food. So I again was on the
lookout for a local supplier which i have found.
They are about 20 miles from my house but worth the trip as I feel like this food is great for my dogs and have been using it for over ten years. Yes it was cheaper thru Chewy but I feel good that the manufacturer was concerned about quality control. If someone else would carry it thru
the mail and it would be as cheap I would order it again.

Posted by: Debo | June 7, 2018 9:41 AM    Report this comment