There are many ways to add mental stimulation to a simple game of fetch. For example, we can ask the dog to jump onto a platform and lie down before we throw a disc for him. We can ask him to go through an agility tunnel before catching the ball. The important thing to recognize is when the dog is getting over threshold and stopping the game or reducing its intensity until the dog calms down. If you know the signs of hyperarousal, depicted in the infographic in the original article, then you will be more able to help your dog.
- Isolation Distress in Dogs All Too Common
- Physical Exams for Senior Dogs
- Training Your Dog to 'Wait' and 'Stay'
- 12 Tips to Avoiding Trips to the Emergency Vet
- The Guide Dogs of America's Puppy Socialization Schedule