Whole Dog Journal's Blog April 7, 2014

Webinar About Canine Allergies April 22

Itís amazing to me that even people who have fairly serious allergies themselves often fail to see the similarities between their own condition and their dogís allergies. Many people are quite experienced at avoiding the substances to which they are allergic Ė but donít realize that it would help their dog considerably if they would invest some time in trying to identify the substances to which their dog is allergic and limiting the dogís exposure to that allergen.

Iím not judging, believe me. I had an allergy-ridden dog for years before I ever suffered an allergic reaction myself; thatís my excuse for subjecting poor Rupert to dose after dose of steroids to quell his itching (and antibiotics for secondary skin infections caused by relentless scratching and chewing). This was long before I learned that it would be far easier Ė and healthier for Rupe! Ė to manage his environment in such a way as to prevent the allergic reaction that caused the itching in the first place.

Through my work at Whole Dog Journal, Iíve learned a lot about canine allergies and how to prevent and/or manage them. I know the most common allergens in dogs (flea bites, and environmental allergies such as pollen and dust mites), and the difference between a food allergy and food intolerance. And today, though the dog I currently share my home with has seasonal allergies, he has never had a hot spot, ear or skin infection, or steroid.

On April 22, at 7 pm EDT, Iíll be presenting a 60-minute webinar about canine allergies to interested Whole Dog Journal readers. Iíll be discussing:

* Five things any owner can do to help an allergic dog, no matter what the allergy.

* The three most common types of canine allergies, and why they get worse as the dog ages.

* How to distinguish a food allergy from a food intolerance.

* 12 ways to reduce your dogís exposure to fleas, dust, and environmental allergens.

* The importance of observing where on your dogís body he scratches, licks, or chews the most when heís suffering from allergies.

* The risks and benefits of corticosteroids.

After my presentation, Iíll answer questions online about your dogís allergies. Wonít you log onto your computer and join me during this free event?

Register now! https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/3942722610551744257

I have a Boston Terrier 2 years old named Tobby, this dog gave me many problems. It ate my shoes, urinated in the room, the furniture stank. A teach my dog to behave with some training videos I found online. Pay 1 dollar for a trial period of 3 days. And 37 monthly payment, but worth every penny. My dog ​​is very well behaved, and does not make those deviltries and I have taught him many tricks. This is the location where I found the training: www.theonlinedogtrainers.com

Posted by: misard | June 13, 2014 7:50 AM    Report this comment

I can vouch for the raw, local honey working against allergies! For the first two years we had our Arlo, he had allergies that seemed to be active mostly in the autumn. We guessed it was a pollen allergy, and when we started giving him the honey, the symptoms disappeared! He is now 7 1/2 years old, and hasn't had symptoms for 5 years!

Posted by: Connie C | April 16, 2014 8:13 PM    Report this comment

Posted by: Connie C | April 16, 2014 8:13 PM    Report this comment

I have found relief for my dogs, and so too have my friends with natural supplements. We like a company called Springtime, Inc. I get no money from this company for referrals. I just wholeheartedly believe their products help. I was amazed with the change in my 11 year old female GSD after starting her on some of their products. Read some of their testimonials. I never wrote to them, but did call them and told them what a difference they had made in my girl's life. I couldn't hold back the tears either. I will always be grateful to them and their wonderful products.
I believe in natural products. If you don't want to look into Springtime, at least look into natural. I used one of their dog products on an outside cat from a former feral colony when his allergies acted up. It worked great!
This webinar sounds like it will be very helpful too. I do hope to attend.

Posted by: DonnaLovesGSDs | April 13, 2014 10:02 AM    Report this comment

Allergies and immune-system disorders are caused by vaccines. Don't revaccinate your pet if it has allergies or any other health condition; it only makes it worse. Learned this the hard way and our dog paid the price for our ignorance. Search online for "vaccine exemption waiver" and get this from your vet to give to animal control. The best information I've found comes from Dr. Patricia Jordan in SC. This won't allow me to add the link but you can find her website and lots of info by her online. Patricia Jordan, DVM, CVA, CTCVH graduated from NC State in l982 Magna Cum Laude B.S. She completed Honors Program in Medical Microbiology, made the Medical Technology Dean's List, has a Doctorate in Veterinary Medicine Externship at the University of Berne, Berne Switzerland, is Certified in Veterinary Acupuncture, Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine & Herbology, was a student of the Chi Institute, and is currently finishing the Master's Program in Traditional Chinese Veterinary Medicine. Dr. Jordan has been an AVMA member for 25 years, in private practice for 23 years. She is nationally regarded as a leader on the front line of veterinary vaccine protocols.

Posted by: YorkieMom | April 11, 2014 2:18 PM    Report this comment

How did our dogs end up being allergic to grass and dust mites and fleas? It's a battle not to be won. One of my dogs now has allergies also as did some of my previous dogs. It's a shame you can't tell when they're puppies so we could avoid picking them and try to breed allergies out. Modern dogs have become more vulnerable rather than hardier. That's what you get when the breeders concentrate on looks rather than hardiness.

Posted by: normdog | April 8, 2014 3:52 PM    Report this comment

Would like to know if this important Webinar will be recorded?

Posted by: sydney09 | April 8, 2014 3:04 PM    Report this comment

My longhair dachshund developed seasonal skin allergies that caused pustules on his underside and in creases by his legs. We first tried steroids and he eventually developed an allergy to them causing hair loss and more skin irritation. I also tried various hydrocortosone shampoos and topicals with little to no effect. After consulting an allergist, we took him off the steroids and began a less invasive regimen. It involved bathing with a gentle oatmeal based soap every week and application of a product caused Spot On, a clear liquid that prevents allergens from irritating the skin. I also made some light weight tee shirts to cover his vulnerable areas. Using Spot On and shirting him in the summer greatly reduced the affects of seasonal allergies on my boy, Dodger.

Posted by: BobbieR | April 8, 2014 11:16 AM    Report this comment

I should have added to my earlier post that we did try allergy shots (immunotherapy) for my Golden's allergies. The serum was prepared on the basis of a blood test that showed primarily environmental allergies. We tried the shots for a year and half and saw no improvement. The vet dermatologist recently suggested that our dog may have been too young when the blood test was performed, she was 1 year 5 months. He also prefers doing skin testing (thinks it's more accurate). I thought the blood testing results made a lot of sense. And am not sure I want to go the allergy shot route again this time based on skin testing. It does seem to help some dogs but unfortunately did not help mine at least the one and only time we tried it.

Posted by: MarthaP | April 8, 2014 10:54 AM    Report this comment

this looks great! any chance there will be a replay? I am commuting during that time of day and unable to attend :(

Posted by: spencers friend | April 8, 2014 10:47 AM    Report this comment

I am not able to attend the webinar and I so hope it will be recorded for those of us who can't be there on April 22. I have a dog with allergy problems only when we are in Florida so this is a very important subject for me. Please let us know if the info will be recorded & be available. Thanks!

Posted by: Sharry | April 8, 2014 10:41 AM    Report this comment

I've an Irish Setter who hurt his paw somehow at a dogpark and within 6 hrs til our vet appt, developed a rash up the front of his body. Vet couldn't even manipulate paw, he screamed so much. He was 6 months old. Almost one year later I'm still dealing with body-wide skin issues, have been the steroid/antibiotic on/off route. Apoquel was a miracle anti itch but they are stuck in distribution limbo so he's back to losing his coat, scratching all the time. Allergy testing showed food and dust mites, aspergillus and some other minor ones. None of the other 9 in the litter are having any problems whatsoever but none live in NE Florida. Currently I've switched him to a raw diet, supplemented with probiotics, omegas, chinese herbs and give zyrtec everyday along with local raw organic honey. This is a nightmare and breaks my heart to see this kind of suffering. I really want to avoid allergy shots. I think whatever got into his immune system a year ago really did a number on him. The first vet never took skin scrapings until the 3rd visit, decided it was a food allergy where we wasted almost 2 months on anallergenic food,steroids and multiple antibiotics and he just kept getting worse. I switched vets, switched diets and seriously, if i had had another month of the Apoquel, think he would have been strong enough immune-wise to fight whatever it is on his own. Really looking forward to this webinar. We'll try anything that sounds reasonable. Whatever coat grew back during that period is now gone.

Posted by: irishlover | April 8, 2014 10:35 AM    Report this comment

My labrador had been showing signs of allergies for sometime. Working with my vet, we did a 12 week food trial of cooked salmon and sweet potato. She had a full blown reaction right in the middle of the food trial: ear infection, broke out in hives itchy red skin on underside, entire coat blowing on underside. After the 12 weeks food trial we immediately did a blood work to send to the lab to check for allergens. She is allergic to dust mites, cat dander, weeds, grasses, trees. We sent the results to the lab for allergy serum. I have been giving allergy injections now for 4 months with great results! Her coat is all back, no ear infections or itchy skin! We cannot rid our home of dust mites, but I do what I can to eliminate as much as possible. We'll see what happens now that spring is upon us and how she does with the dosage of allergen serum. Looking forward to your webinar on the 22nd!!!

Posted by: Tracyehb@aol.com | April 8, 2014 9:21 AM    Report this comment

I too hope this will be recorded as I am unavailable on that date. This topic is of great interest to me. WDJ has been a resource as we struggle to treat my Golden's environmental allergies. We finally took her to a veterinary dermatologist. He suggested Atopica. I know some have had good results with Atopica but I am having trouble accepting that it is safer than a low dose steroid regimen with "time off" during the cold winter months.

Posted by: MarthaP | April 8, 2014 9:04 AM    Report this comment

Will this be recorded? I would very much like to attend, but will be traveling to our national specialty that week.

Posted by: Sharonbetts | April 8, 2014 8:39 AM    Report this comment

Posted by: Sharonbetts | April 8, 2014 8:39 AM    Report this comment

I am really looking forward to this. My dog has some sort of allergy that I have no idea what it is related to. His eyes get red and he will scratch, although not bad, and he ends up with a secondary yeast infection that he has to take antibiotics for. There is no pattern or certain season or certain food that I have been able to link it to, as it just comes and goes. His vet thinks he may be allergic to grass of all things! Yikes. I hope your webinar can help me determine what the root of the problem is.

Posted by: Jaxon | April 8, 2014 8:27 AM    Report this comment