Whole Dog Journal's Blog February 6, 2012

Super Bowl Ads Staring Canine Actors

Last week on our Facebook page we posted links for Volkswagen’s two Super Bowl commercials featuring talented canine actors. Dogs are almost always popular in Super Bowl ads – but there are potential hazards to the advertiser if the dogs or their depictions are not handled with sensitivity. Last night, shoe makers Skechers premiered a commercial that featured Greyhound racing – not something most dog lovers want to see, even if it includes a comical and darling French Bulldog wearing tiny Skechers who wins the race, moonwalking across the finish line. Comedy or not, media reports say Skechers is taking heat about the racing Greyhounds.

From our view, the star of the night was Bud Light, for featuring a former shelter dog in a funny ad (the dog, ostensibly named Weego, fetches beer for anyone at a party who commands “Here, Weego!” – or happens to say “Here we go!”) – but also, for going one step further and promoting the practice of adopting rescue/shelter dogs. A link flashed at the end of the ad urges viewers to go to facebook.com/budlight, where information about the rescued canine actor is listed, and people are encouraged to “like” the page with this as the reward: for each “like,” Bud Light will donate $1 (up to $250,000) to Tony La Russa’s Animal Rescue Foundation. Now that’s how you capture a dog lover’s attention and affection.

Skechers

Bud Light

I suggest that Blackangel and others who think that racing is an "enjoyable" experience for greyhounds, check out GREY2KUSA.ORG. It is this organization's petition on change.org, which was signed by over 122,000 people, that asked Skechers to pull or change their Superbowl ad filmed at Tucson Greyhound Park.

Posted by: LuckyMom | February 12, 2012 11:48 AM    Report this comment

We have adopted a four year old (Retired) female Greyhound. To say they don't like to run/race is false. You should see our little girl do her "Thing" instinctively - ZOOMING around our backyard. Like a ballet dancer on steroids. After zooming, of course, it's time for the thing Greyhounds love most - napping. To criticize Sketchers looks to me like the PC thing to do. It was a great commercial. Compared to most of the commercials that were geared to people with the IQ of a turnip, it was very clever. You go, Sketchers! Good job!

Posted by: Unknown | February 8, 2012 7:00 AM    Report this comment

To "Unknown" who states that Greyhounds don't enjoy racing, clearly you have never seen them race or you would know your statement isn't true. If they don't want to race, they won't do it. Period. But that very rarely happens. But most of the rest of your post is inaccurate, too.

Posted by: blackangel | February 7, 2012 2:13 PM    Report this comment

I enjoyed all of the canine commercials, especially the Skechers ad. I have owned/fostered retired racing greyhounds since 1998. I absolutely love this magnificent breed. I have been to the track to pick up retirees, been to the puppy farms, been to the schooling races. I did not witness poor care or abusive treatment. I have a close friend who races greyhounds and have adopted 2 greyhounds directly from her. And she has kept 8 of her retirees as pets. I foster for an adoption group that are advocates of racing. I have seen the other side of the story.
The people I have met in the racing industry have been good, hard working people, that care for their dogs.

Posted by: NOLAhounds | February 7, 2012 1:34 PM    Report this comment

PS--just saw the Weego commercial--loved it! I've always loved the Budwieser Clydsdale commercials (don't like the beer but I love the commercials!).

Posted by: PJKutscher | February 7, 2012 1:20 PM    Report this comment

I have mixed feelings about the Skechers commercial. I can see why it is appealing--I mean who can resist that adorable Frenchie! I agree that it promotes a deplorable sport. Perhaps Skechers could add a trailer at the end of the commercial showing how badly greyhounds are treated and offering links to greyhound rescue groups. They could have their commercial and do good, too!

Posted by: PJKutscher | February 7, 2012 1:09 PM    Report this comment

The Sketchers commercial was disheartening. As the awareness of the cruelty of greyhound racing becomes more widespread to see this company totally disregard that fact was disappointing. I will not buy anyting they make from this point on.

Posted by: Betsy;s mom | February 7, 2012 11:59 AM    Report this comment

Sketches has been sent letters, petitions, demonstrations and the return of their shoes to discontinue this ad showing Greyhound racing, as it is only gives free adverterising to dog racing, which many people want ended. They have completely ignored the wishes of Greyhound owners, rescuers and dog lovers. I only wish that the TV stations and You Tube would not show this film, as it looks like the dogs enjoy racing, while it is exactly the opposite. The Greyhounds are treated poorly, get no medical care, fed garbage food, and the accidents and deaths at the dog tracks are high. Dog Racing is nothing but being abusive to these beautiful and loving dogs, and has to be ended.

Posted by: Joyce M | February 7, 2012 9:38 AM    Report this comment

I find it unconscionable that Sketchers still ran that ad, even though they received several requests and at least one petition asking them to pull it, all clearly illustrating just why it was in such bad form.

On an equally disturbing note, my breath was taken away when I saw the Doritos ad where the family dog was
depicted as having killed the family cat and then bribing the husband into silence with a bag of chips. Is it really so entertaining to depict one family member killing another?

It was so good to see "weego", and there are some great spots out there advocating adoption/kindness, but sadly we still have so far to go.

Posted by: Katie and Darryl J | February 7, 2012 9:21 AM    Report this comment

The Skechers commercial captured the hearts of LOTS of Greyhound lovers. Mr Quigley was excellent. So was Weego, but I bet he can't moonwalk. ;-)

Posted by: blackangel | February 7, 2012 9:08 AM    Report this comment

As an owner of 3 x-racing greyhounds, I found Skechers commercial very disappointing. They could have so easily directed it to a positive about the plight of the greyhound and adopting of them. Even with intense protests and petitions, they did not budge in their position.

Posted by: Wally L | February 7, 2012 9:06 AM    Report this comment

I really loved the Weego commercial

I also really liked the fact that in every commercial where a dog was riding in a car, they were properly belted in. Most people don't have a clue how important this is.

Posted by: mweidman | February 6, 2012 1:41 PM    Report this comment