Whole Dog Journal's Blog January 4, 2017

Resolutions . . . for your dog?

Looking for an idea for a blog post, I just looked through my oldest posts, wondering just how long I have been doing this. The answer stunned me: since mid-2010.  I got lost for a bit, reading through musings from years past.

Winter is time to reflect ;)

I came across one written at precisely this time of year in 2011, about making new year’s resolutions for our dogs.

I made a couple of resolutions at that time, and here’s another stunner (sarcasm alert): In the past six years, I absolutely haven’t done the two things I said I was going to try to do.

What are you looking for in 2017?

It’s probably smart to make small, achievable goals, instead of the big ones like “I’m going to make my dog’s food and compete in a new sport.” I still want to do both things, but I haven’t made them a priority; lots of other projects have come up that have been pushed to the top of my “to do” lists. But both things are still goals I’m interested in. I have to take some small steps toward achieving them.

Do you have any goals for you and your dog or dogs this year? Any that you’d care to share? They might inspire others to think about and develop some goals for improving their dogs’ lives, too!

Make a splash in 2017

As a medically challenged senior living on social security I find it almost impossible to meet the expense of vet services for my sweet Beagle girl. She's a 3 1/2 yr old rescue at age 1. Just the recommended vaccinations can run over $100/ visit. Always a well dog office visit ($45). How can I do right by Kenzi. I read not all these shots are necessary. The basic flea/tick/heart worm tx monthly rivals my food expense for myself. I make her food. I don't resent that expense or even the basic vaccinations. But taking her to the vet if she gets sick is a financial burden. Must it be this expensive?

Posted by: Missmari | January 13, 2017 12:13 PM    Report this comment

Goals for my dog: I find it difficult to deal with the guilt of working with my younger therapy dog at home and seeing my older, retired Lab look so sad. I resolve to find a way to make this work, because in this prime time of her life, she is so deserving. She's a great therapy dog, but has so much more potential. To that end, we've enrolled in an agility class that starts tomorrow night.

I also hope to spend quality time with my older dog as her time seems to be growing short. It's just so difficult for me to divide my time between two dogs in the same house when they know what the other one is doing. Sure, I can take them in another room and close the door, but it doesn't help knowing that the other is outside and fretting. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I can crate the younger one in a different room, but my old girl is so stove up, that I don't like to make her go into her crate. She rests on a giant orthopedic bed. As a Lab, she never complains, but her eyes when she gazes at me mournfully and somewhat reproachfully burn into my soul! She was my therapy partner for 8 years.

Posted by: therapydog mama | January 8, 2017 4:10 PM    Report this comment

I have four rescue dogs. All different breeds and ages. One dog is slightly dog aggressive. I am hiring a trainer to come help where I don't seem to be able to get through to her. She deserves a peaceful life. Another was rescued very ill and shut down. We successfully treated his heart worm. As far as his fears...he has opened up to me and loves the other dogs, but can't get past his fear of men. I have no clue what his past was and it is not important really, but I need to help him get further along. Again, the trainer to help me get through to him so he too can live in peace.

Other than that, I plan on continuing feeding raw, freeze dried and homemade foods. Watch their health and educate others on pet nutrition as much as I can. Educate myself as new information enters the market. I have an 11 year old lab mix that is starting to show his age finally. I want to do everything I can to make his golden years the best! He has gone through acl surgery and a tumor removal on his hip. Bounced back fine with hydrotherapy...but I can see the morning stiffness and he is more tired during the day.

Posted by: Traci Simon | January 6, 2017 2:16 PM    Report this comment

To use a phrase already out in the media, "I need to be the person my dog thinks I am."
We are always together, except for my very short shopping excursions, but I need to give her more of ME TIME, actually play with her, go over her commands, take her for walks, and introduce her to new activities, maybe a walk at the mall while it is so cold out now.
She deserves more from me because she is my best friend who listens to my dribble Drabble conversations as though she understands every word, licks my tears away when I am sad and is excited when I am being silly and happy.
Since I am loosing my hearing she has begun to respond to someone being at my apt. door. She will bark if someone knocks or sit up at attention facing the door if the sound is more subtle. I don't hear a knock on the door unless it is very forceful so this can be a real problem for me as most people seem to think a loud knock is rude. Packages that require a signature go undelivered, visitors are not acknowledged and so on.
It is my life's goal to make every animal I ever own know at least half the love they have given me!!!

Posted by: Her Woofness | January 6, 2017 11:17 AM    Report this comment

We have boxers which are very prone to cancer. Years ago Dr. Sanjay Gupta mentioned Metformin for prostate and breast cancer. It worked for me. I tried Metformin on one of my boxers and within a month there was a significant improvement. I have gave him the drug for years until he died from other issues. Research the drug and consider it for your dog with cancer.

Posted by: Joe Norman | January 6, 2017 10:37 AM    Report this comment

It breaks my heart to see the comments from the owners of all the dogs with cancer. To Sara's mom, I know what you mean when you say you would gladly split the rest of your life with your precious girl. I don't know how I will go on if/ when something happens to my Bull Terrier. I dearly love my four dogs, but Gunnie has a piece of my heart that nobody else can replace. I've had several health scares with her, one in particular where I almost lost her. I'm hoping and praying that you get good news about your sweet girl when she has her biopsy. I also agree with the comments about the AKC. Obviously, our pets health is not the biggest issue with them and/or some breeders. I have three RESCUE dogs and one Purebred Bull Terrier. Guess which one has health problems...Wishing all the best for everyone

Posted by: Gunniesmom | January 6, 2017 5:19 AM    Report this comment

To dragonlady:
Would you please give me the recipe for making your dog's food.
maryartist

Posted by: maryartist | January 5, 2017 7:55 PM    Report this comment

Dragonlady, could you please tell me how you make your dog's food and the
recipe?

Posted by: maryartist | January 5, 2017 7:49 PM    Report this comment

The AKC is largely to blame for the high cancer rates as well as the issue with Dalmatians and crystals, Shepherds and dysplasia and back problems, and Chihuahuas and all manner of behavioral problems attributable to their brain being squeezed within their cranium. And lets face it the outrageously high cancer rates among Labs as well. It seems like 100% of Labs die from cancer but that couldn't be right, could it? As I sit here, my friend's precious Lab mix, Molly is dying from Anal gland cancer that metastasized and in a week and a half my precious dog goes in for surgery to remove and biopsy a growth on her gum. And yes, I monitor her carefully but today is the first time her Vet could really see it and feel it. I am beyond terrified and have a week and a half to wait for the surgery. I would gladly split the rest of my life with her so that we could die together about 13 years from now in each other's arms. Oh, how I love this dog!

Posted by: Sara's Mom | January 5, 2017 7:38 PM    Report this comment

Almost 1 year ago I started going (with my youngest dog) to agility training. Really just wanted something to do in the winter, that was out of the cold. He was just 1 yr. old then & I thought the classes would be good training, along with getting rid of some of his energy. It has turned out to be a lot of fun, we're still doing it & might even compete this year. So we still have a lot of work to do & much more practice than we do now. My goal it to work daily, we both need it (I think the dogs are easier to train than we are) and to give my other dog the love & attention he needs too.

Posted by: happy dogs | January 5, 2017 2:12 PM    Report this comment

My easy New Year's Resolution for my dogs is to frequently stop what I'm doing and give attention to them. They're getting older; they don't last forever. It only takes a few minutes to play tug, hide a toy for them to find or brush their coats. It's also healthy for me to get up from the computer more often and sit next to my dog and just pet her. Several times a day - makes us all happy.

Posted by: SundogsHawaii | January 5, 2017 12:47 PM    Report this comment

I guess my only resolution is to do the best I can do today for our pets, which may be a bit different today than it was yesterday or will be tomorrow. Yesterday it rained all day (unusual for Reno!) so I walked our border collie, Gabe, at Home Depot where he got all the loves, treats, and stimulation he could take! Overnight it snowed so we get a romp in the snow today! Maybe tomorrow when the roads are plowed we'll get to the mountains for a ski. "Best day ever!"

Posted by: Robin Chaffey | January 5, 2017 9:28 AM    Report this comment

I make my dog's food, which is actually quite easy. Increasing his exercise is the hard part.

Posted by: dragonlady | January 5, 2017 9:13 AM    Report this comment

I have an 11 yr old Scottie boy, and a 10 month old Scottie. I have lost 3 to cancer. So many of my Scottie friends have lost they're also to cancer. I have to fight this terrible disease that is taking our innocent pets, but I can't do it alone.

Posted by: ScottieLover | January 5, 2017 9:10 AM    Report this comment