Whole Dog Journal's Blog January 25, 2016

Puppy Love

Oh people, I have a dilemma.

puppies

As you may know, I’ve been fostering a litter of nine puppies for about seven weeks. From day 1, there was one puppy who stood out to me as a potentially great dog. One of just two males in the litter, he was the first to learn to offer a “sit” when I was getting their food or medicine ready, and to make eye contact with me any time I looked over the group. He also shows great poise and self-control: He will sit and stare at me, even as other puppies are jumping all over him, trying to get him to play with them, and he will just physically shrug off their very rough attempts to hijack his attention, with his eyes fixed on me the entire time. His devotion makes my heart hurt!

At my shelter, we have one particular veterinarian who comes on Thursdays to spay and neuter. Two weeks ago, she spayed four of the puppies, and they were adopted within a day or two. Then, last week, I said a tearful goodbye to each of the last five pups and brought them to the shelter for their surgeries. I have been considering adopting that one special puppy – but ultimately decided against it. I knew he would be adopted immediately; I just wished I could hand-select a home for him!

I cried on and off all day, even though I knew we had a line of people waiting to adopt the puppies; I had taken portraits of each of the pups and we had posted their pictures on the shelter’s Facebook page, and people had been calling the shelter for days asking when they would be ready to adopt.

At about 5 P.M. that day, I got a text from the shelter director, saying that the veterinarian hadn’t been able to get to all the surgeries they had hoped to get done that day, and the boy puppies hadn’t yet been neutered, and did I want to pick them up and keep them for another week?

So, even though I had decided last week that there is no way I need another dog, and managed to say a painful goodbye to my special puppy, I’ve had another week to spend admiring this guy, and I’m wavering again. I love the other boy puppy, too, but it’s the brindle boy who has just absolutely grabbed my heart. I’m not giving him any more attention than the other puppy, I’ve been treating them the same way all this time, and yet, while the grey pup is interested in me in a general way, the brindle boy is obsessed. He follows me from room to room. When I’m waiting for my coffee to re-heat in the microwave, he sits on my foot. He eschews the comfy dog bed two feet from my office chair in favor of draping himself across the highly uncomfortable hard plastic legs of my office chair. And yes, he follows me into the bathroom and lies down patiently on the bathmat while I brush my teeth or, you know, whatever. Is it my imagination, or is he reading my mind? He seems to be saying, “Look, I’m yours.”

I had an instant-message chat with WDJ Training Editor Pat Miller about the puppy. “Paaaaat!” I whined. “What am I going to do! I don’t need another dog! I don’t particularly like pit-mixes! But he loves me! And I love him!”

I should have known better than to consult someone who generally has five or so dogs herself. She said, “You know, all the years I worked at/with shelters, only rarely did one speak to me like this... sometimes you just have to listen.” In other words, she was no help at all. ;)

I finally had to have a heart to heart with my husband about this last night. He’s come a loooonnnggg way, folks. He’s not a dog person – he would live quite happily with no dogs. And when I told him I was seriously thinking of keeping this puppy, and asked him, “What do you think? Am I crazy?”, he started his answer with, “Well, how many dogs do we have now?” I laughed out loud.

“Two!” I said. “Plus one foster – but she will be leaving sometime. I’m not keeping her!” I have been fostering and training this hound girl, Maebe, for a week or two longer than I’ve had the puppies. I adore and am amused by her, but she really does need to go to a home with younger, more active people in it. Preferably a distance runner who wants a trail companion! Or lots of small children! While I feel confident I will be able to place her somewhere within a month or two, she has been a constant presence on our sofa every night for the past two months, adding validity to my husband’s seemingly silly question about how many dogs we already have.

And to his credit, my husband then asked, “How does Otto feel about this?” That right there shows that for all his seeming gruffness about the dogs around here, my husband is paying attention. Otto’s opinion is important.

The truth is, Otto doesn’t like puppies. He has absolutely no use for them until they get a bit older. He growls in a most fearsome way when the puppies come toward him, and makes the most hideous faces you can imagine, with lots of teeth showing. If they come at him fast, he leaps and dodges away like they have leprosy. But just this past week, down to just the two puppies, he’s been not only holding his ground when they approach, but starting to wag his tail at them. He still growls, but the faces are getting less fearsome, and the tail is definitely wagging. I think as long as it’s clear that Otto is my biggest, deepest canine love, he’ll be okay with the addition of another dog in the family.

I still can’t say that I need another dog. I really don’t. But I also just can’t let this guy go to just anyone. It may develop that I keep him and train him for a few more months until the perfect family for him comes along. We’ll see. This morning, when I take the last two puppies to the shelter for their surgeries, I’m going to let them know that I will be taking the brindle pup home with me again at the end of the day.

I always believe in the law of attraction. God or the Universe works in mysterious ways. We always don't have the answers. In life, we just have to let go and stop over thinking and over analyzing things. The signs are there. You just have to open your heart and welcome your brindle pup in your lovely home. In the near future, you'll know why he needs to be in your lives.

Posted by: Duanemaya | February 29, 2016 9:21 AM    Report this comment

There is no question or problem here. You were meant for each other. Mazel Tov! And, if I may add....since he was spared being neutered...don't do it until he's older...I was so grateful Lali came from a shelter that agreed with my decision to wait....

Years back I had a paper route, a car route...At the time I had rescued a pup about to run into traffic, who turned out to pregnant and had 3 puppies my mother forced me to give up. So on this particular night when I found a pup, I had to take her to the service dept of the city I was delivering in. But I made the animal warden promise to take care of her and I would work on finding her a home. In the meantime I was visiting her. One day a little pup that would fit almost in your hands, about 4, 5 weeks old was in a cage at eye level. Her tail wagged, our eyes met, I held her...and she was mine. My mother would not let me keep her. She was adopted to an idiot who wanted her under the tree for Christmas...and then didn't like her puppy behaviors. He threatened to take her to the pound if I didn't take her back. My mother refused to let her in the house so she began, the pup that is, to board at our vets where I took her out every day I could. Although I was making efforts to find her a home...none met my standards. By the end of almost a year, my mother finally allowed her to rejoin our family, where she lived happily ever after. and, btw, when she was a little baby, my other pup, who had just had the puppies...showed her how to go wee outside...and she was housebroken almost instantaneously. She is still a light in my life. And when Lali came into my life...it was after I lost my pup Malie. I wasn't ready. Malie's former/retired vet was sending me emails with pictures, encouraging me to adopt...which led to my seeing a litter....I was so unsure and resistant...especially since I didn't feel good about any of the vets around...but then there was the way one puppy looked...looking right at me...in the picture...there was an unexpected table of books in the grocery store of all places, and on top of the pile was "you and your new puppy"....and then a big semi with the word "pepsi" on the side crossed my path...and one of the puppies had a name of pepsi...Sometimes the signs are there if we just read them...

Posted by: robin r | January 30, 2016 10:59 PM    Report this comment

We never really *need* another one, do we?:-) But if he's decided he's your dog, I think you really have to keep him!

Posted by: ccrow | January 30, 2016 8:51 PM    Report this comment

Keep. No question. A "heart dog" only comes around every so often, perhaps once in a lifetime. He is yours, and you are his. Enjoy every minute!!!

Posted by: ChicagoBeth | January 30, 2016 12:14 PM    Report this comment

This so reminds me of puppy I chased, sometimes with a whole pork roast I had specially bar-b-qued (no sauce) for him, and he ran like the dickens. He'd eat the food, I had 8 people here in my senior mobile home park feeding him and leaving out water, and he'd graciously take our offerings if we were not watching, but NEVER came to anyone. THEN, he went over to my neighbor's house because he kind of liked his dogs, stayed for a play and a treat then wanted to leave. He then later, went to another friends house, same thing, a pet, a nap on the couch, a treat and then bye-bye... THEN he selected his home. He went to their gate, wanted in and refused to leave. Bobo is magnificent now, so happy, so beautiful and he was through "shopping" for his owners. When he found the ones he could bond with/trust that's where he stayed. He's extremely happy and loves the other two dogs in the home and adores his "dad". You should keep the pup.

Posted by: Suerich | January 30, 2016 10:36 AM    Report this comment

Hi Nancy, greets from Prague, Czech Republic.
I wonder why you posted your "dilemma" here on WDJ. Your question is about the classical fight between rational brain and emotional stomach, and you must have known that you'll get tenths of advocates here for the stomach. So, how many more do you need?
You're using the words whether you "need an other dog" and that the answer is "no, but ...". Instead, try this one:
Which story do you want to be telling 5 years from now: How you've learned to find a good home for the most loving foster puppy and how you've learned to un-bond? Or how dogs choose their homes, instead of us choosing them, and how important it is to have the stomach win over the brain for once in a while?

For the first alternative, I like the comment of Kathy Callahan (a bit further up here): "The trick, for your own sanity, is to be sure you can be involved in the selection of the owner and be able to get updates from time to time. Otherwise you will never be okay with letting him go! "

For the second alternative, well, ask yourself how often you've regretted 'stomach' decisions in the past. We all have our experiences there, and our own score card. How does your look? (I do have a hypothesis for your answer but I won't tell :-) )

Whilst I'm writing this, Kyra, our 2nd dog, is sitting to my feet. She came 4 years ago to our home, as an 8 week old puppy from the shelter (she looks like a typical street breed. She was picked up from one of Prague's busiest squares on a freezing day shortly after Christmas by the police). My partner brought her to our house "as a present" because "she has chosen him in the shelter". Our first dog, Lady, was 7 years by that time and adopted Kyra immediately. Since then, we learn from the girls every day, how two creatures can live in harmony, bound together for their entire life.

Wish you peace & happiness whatever way you decide. And always love yourself, at first! Don't make decisions for which you couldn't.

Posted by: Tom H. | January 28, 2016 5:03 PM    Report this comment

I wish there was a way to send to you a photo of my brindle dog...Tango. I live in Mexico so know these two dogs can not be related but they look so much alike and sound like similar personalities as well......of course you will keep the dog. How could yo not.

Posted by: Acapulcojean | January 27, 2016 9:14 PM    Report this comment

I was thinking of a moment about 11 years ago when this young dog that we found soon became pregnant by our hound. She had a litter of 8 pups. All of them were cute as the dickens and we decided on keeping two of the pups. At first glance I quite liked the one pup who I name "Appaloosa" He was dappled just an appaloosa horse was. Very cute, he was. Than there was this light brown and white chest pup who extremely shy since he was a pup. So be it, name "Shy Dog" I decided I wanted to keep these two pups and gave away the other 6 to people or the pet shop. Well, there was this black and white pup who was a rowdy and very friendly guy who my son wanted to keep. I had taken him to the pet shop and my son said, "no, go see if you can get him back! I like him" So, I call the pet shop and they said, "sure, come get them" I took back the black and white pup who we named "Frazier" and took to the pet store "Appaloosa" I would have loved to keep all three but it didn't work out. So we kept Shy Dog and Frazier. Shy Dog ended up getting hit by a car and died. I was deeply heart broken. Frazier in return became my second child, even though fur bearing! He was my truest friend and my guardian angel as he gave to me throughout those 11 1/2 yrs of his life the truest and kindness love a person could ever receive from a dog. He helped me when I became injured and couldn't walk. He would support me with his smiles and doggy kisses and laid next to my feet when we slept. He liked to talk and would look at me intently when I spoke and answered with different degrees of "woof" And I knew when he was having fun because he would run up next to me and toss my arms around his neck and we would hug and I would give him at least 12 kisses on his nose and face. He passed away this last July, 2015. My heart was deeply broken as he gave to me the happiest years of my life. We went on so many long walks and car rides. Everywhere I went, he went too. He was very human and believed he was! I'm so very thankful that I relented to my son's wishes as to keeping him. To often, we don't follow our heart and we end up regretting it. I deeply miss my Frazier and my life is sooo lonely without him in it.

Posted by: bandit frazier | January 27, 2016 2:54 PM    Report this comment

I never thought I'd have any dogs but Labs (have 2 now) until a little pit mix "chose" my daughter during a particularly difficult time in her life. This dog literally saved her life. She is absolutely the most endearing dog ever! After a very tearful walk down the shelter hall with so many dogs staring at her, and saying "pick me!", she narrowed down her "visit" to 5. The first pup only wanted to escape the room. When they brought the second dog in, she immediately jumped into my daughter's lap and began to wash her face with kisses. Her tears mingled with Luna's kisses and she never even asked to see the others. It was love at first sight. They were both saved! Our daughter and Luna have now graduated college and are living with us for awhile. We now have the pleasure of a 3rd dog and she fits in great with the Labs. It sounds like this little brindle truly is "chosing" you! Listen to your heart!

Posted by: blacklab | January 27, 2016 10:00 AM    Report this comment

Hopefully you can spare him the unhealthy early nutering. The main reason I will not consider a rescue. In the past you could post a large deposit refundable when you had it done.

Posted by: Kody | January 26, 2016 10:47 PM    Report this comment

How can you even think of letting him go, a dog like that MAY come once in a lifetime IF you are really lucky. Keep him and call him "Lucky"!

Posted by: Gradysdad | January 26, 2016 9:59 PM    Report this comment

Chemistry like that doesn't come along every day. Definitely keep him!

Posted by: kjcasa | January 26, 2016 7:17 PM    Report this comment

Everybody got it right: keep the dog! if you don't, you'd break both your hearts. Glad you listened to your heart and decided he's yours (well, really he already decided that!) and i liked the idea of Homer for a name. Really enjoy your writing and info. Been a reader for over 20 yrs! Congrats on your new love affair. Dogs teach us what love is when people forget!

Posted by: meanmorgan | January 26, 2016 6:44 PM    Report this comment

Haha! Did you really think any of us (Whole Dog Journal reading dog lovers) would try to talk you out of keeping the pup? Hey, we don't choose our dogs, they choose us. And from the sound of it, this special little brindle guy has chosen you. I can't imagine anything more heart warming or satisfying. Plus, when you keep him, we get to read all your wonderful updates.

Posted by: jae | January 26, 2016 4:07 PM    Report this comment

You know this is destiny with such a real connection to this little boy. We can't argue when they just fall in our laps. Our late black girl was that type with such a connection for both myself and my husband. If there would be anyone who could love him more than you, and I doubt there would be, they would have to rise to such levels to meet your expectations. Just keep him and enjoy the love.

Posted by: LBNash | January 26, 2016 3:27 PM    Report this comment

You have had a very rough year. So much heartache and pain. And yet, here comes this little guy, so full of love and devotion. Just waiting to help you heal. I think he was a gift from Heaven, maybe from your brother. You just have to keep this precious pup! It is destiny!

Colleen Quinn

Posted by: Colleen Q. | January 26, 2016 3:14 PM    Report this comment

Homer is a good name because your home has become his and he knew it when he met you!

Posted by: Miss Jan | January 26, 2016 2:55 PM    Report this comment

Your brindle boy sounds lovely, but why neuter him so early if you are going to keep him? I can understand why you neuter puppies that you rehome, although I don't agree with it, but why give your boy such a disadvantage?

Posted by: Dawdie | January 26, 2016 2:54 PM    Report this comment

Brindle was your dog from the moment you met him. Homer is a good name because he is and has been home with you.

Posted by: Miss Jan | January 26, 2016 2:52 PM    Report this comment

Keep the puppy! It is destiny! I once turned down an adorable chocolate and white Cocker puppy after talking to everyone including my vet. I had a Cocker rescue at the time (a wonderful little dog) who needed knee surgery so it seemed best to wait. A week later this puppy was "visiting" at my friends house. I went to see her and as I stood watching her a little light bulb went off. She was the only female in the litter, she should have been snatched up by somebody but here she was still available. The universe had moved to give me another opportunity because she was supposed to be my puppy! So I brought her home. My husband fell in love with her the moment he laid eyes on her. I never regretted it for one second. She was an awesome and smart little dog! She has been gone now for five years or so and I still miss her. The universe offered you a second chance at this lovely puppy. I am glad you took the offer. I doubt very much that you will ever regret it!
Denise

Posted by: Denise Pratt | January 26, 2016 2:50 PM    Report this comment

You will never have this particular chance again! Seize the pup and make him your own best puppy! I had five dogs when one more came into my life and that was almost four years ago! I have loved every minute and have no regrets!🐾

Posted by: gideon | January 26, 2016 2:40 PM    Report this comment

As a 30+ year puppy aptitude tester, and obedience competitor, I was pretty sure the puppy you were talking about WAS the brindle boy - from the absolute rapt attention he was giving you, in the picture. My advice is listen to the FATES. Things happen... for a REASON. Everything has fallen in line, for you to keep this puppy. (Please DO.) Either: you are going to have one heck of an obedience dog, (perhaps the best or most exceptional - you will ever own) or you are going to begin to train a wonderful service dog (for someone else) and are going to (be able) write interesting first-hand articles on pit-mixes, through this experience.

So now.... as to names. Do we want something related to stripes, being brown or just a lovely or interesting name (and good for commands)?

Ziggy
Murphy
Striker/Stryker (He IS striking.)
Cruise, Cruiser
Saber
Drake

Posted by: Betsy | January 26, 2016 1:54 PM    Report this comment

PS.
I once had a Pitt...he was an excellent pup... It is unfortunate the breed has gotten a bad rap. Pitts are GREAT dogs!

Posted by: sage | January 26, 2016 1:50 PM    Report this comment

It looks like a part of a heart in the white on the brindle pups forehead..you two sound like a good fit.. Probably would be good for Otto too. Cherish the moments..

Posted by: sage | January 26, 2016 1:45 PM    Report this comment

Brindle Boy chose you. He knows you need him. He won't be a pup forever and will eventually have the opportunity to prove himself to you. He'll be the best dog you ever had.

Posted by: drlucy | January 26, 2016 1:03 PM    Report this comment

I absolutely believe that Kathy Callahan's response is dead on; the pup will bond with a new mom but YOU need to help in that selection! On the other hand, Otto is older and it would be really nice to keep a pup that personally chose YOU!
Good luck!

Posted by: SlyBrandy | January 26, 2016 12:10 PM    Report this comment

Keep him!!! We had an older Rhodesian Ridgeback/Pit come to our home, we live in the desert and I have water out for critters. He had been abused, his canines had been sawed off and in really bad shape. He stayed with us almost 3 years, going from scared of everyone to sleeping in our bedroom (we have 3 dogs, 2 horses) until we lost him to an invasive cancer. He is now buried out with my 30 year old Arab gelding. He was the sweetest and most loyal pup - when you have one like that - you don't let go - he has given you his heart!

Posted by: suzz.house | January 26, 2016 11:19 AM    Report this comment

Keep him. He's talking to you. He may be your Heart dog. I have 3 dogs. My male mix breed, is my heart dog. From the moment I saw him I knew he was meant to be mine. He looks at me like he knows me. He understands me. There is a special bond. He too was quick to train, to learn 'tricks' he just want to please me. Keep him. Three is a good number.
Lou

Posted by: cohlo01 | January 26, 2016 11:15 AM    Report this comment

I hate to hear that you "don't particularly like pit-mixes" because, just like any other breed, they are wonderful, beautiful, loving companions. I'm sure that if you keep this little boy you may come to change your mind about the breed:).
Good luck!
And to everyone reading this comment: Judge the deed, not the breed.

Posted by: emilyj | January 26, 2016 10:54 AM    Report this comment

There are so many signs telling you this pup is yours, the latest being the vet not having time for the surgeries and you having to keep him another week! I like SFLSue's comment that he has chosen you in hopes you'll choose him back - you have to keep him! And soon enough he'll be bigger and not so puppyish and Otto will be fine. Good luck and please keep us posted :-)

Posted by: Bergers | January 26, 2016 10:15 AM    Report this comment

You have to keep this doggie!!

Posted by: Sportschick | January 26, 2016 10:07 AM    Report this comment

I have to mention that early spay neuter is not a great choice if concerned about grow and canine cancer issues. Please reference the Ovary Sparring Spay and Vasectomy group and check out the articles in their files. That information just might change your mind on an early neuter for this pup if you are considering keeping him. My female had OSS surgery, my son's dog remains intact and we will consider changing their status later, after maturity has been reached. Research this topic........you are good at research.

Posted by: Grachip | January 26, 2016 10:01 AM    Report this comment

My husband and I have owned 6 dogs and fostered many others over the past 20 years. Two were truly exceptional, and we knew it the first day we met each of them like you did with your brindle pup. Exceptional dogs come around only a few times in a lifetime if you're lucky. Don't pass this one up.

Posted by: JoDiMD | January 26, 2016 9:57 AM    Report this comment

The description of your brindle boy sounds like the test for a service dog. Trainers looking for a service dog prospect look for exactly those attributes you describe. You might consider training him yourself. Dogs like this are in greatly needed and spend their lives with a real Job. I know you'll never be able to give him up, though. It was just a thought.

Posted by: Doodles | January 26, 2016 9:36 AM    Report this comment

I've fostered 78 dogs, almost exclusively puppies, over the past three years. Four times we've taken in a nursing mom and her entire litter and kept them more than a month. So after all of this time and experience I can tell you these things:
1) Otto has turned the corner and would be just fine with this puppy. We have three dogs of our own, and one of them hates the litters (too many! too small!) but suddenly starts to play once we get down to two pups. Once we're down to one he plays nonstop and is in heaven. A complete turn-around. What you've described in Otto is exactly what I see in Rocket as he begins the switch.
2) What you are seeing in this pup is absolutely special -- but what it really means is that he is exceptionally primed to bond. You may decide to be the lucky recipient of that if you decide it's right for you, but if you do a good job finding a good owner he will absolutely turn all of that openness straight to the new person. I've seen it. I've had to break my heart a few times in this EXACT way (we have three dogs and a cat who deserve their fair share of attention already!), and I can report that it is stunning to see that puppy who was previously GLUED to me absolutely adoring his new mom. The trick, for your own sanity, is to be sure you can be involved in the selection of the owner and be able to get updates from time to time. Otherwise you will never be okay with letting him go!
Good luck with your decision! (We've kept just one of those 78, and it was the best decision we ever made.)

Posted by: Kathy Callahan | January 26, 2016 9:32 AM    Report this comment

Oh I so cried when I read this. Really cried.... Your little gentleman has chosen you in the hope you'll choose him back.... Don't disappoint... He is magnificent and you know they don't come along every day.... I love the pit mixes so I'm kind of biased but I believe you'll be joining my club very soon...

Posted by: SFLSue | January 26, 2016 9:31 AM    Report this comment

Your post made me laugh and cry, both. Pat Miller's advice to you is spot on. Brindle Boy is speaking loud and clear!

I also have too many pets already, and I would go through the same doubts and trying to convince myself not to.

I'm glad you're keeping him. Otto is getting a little bit on the older side, and in years to come you'll be so glad Brindle Boy is with you to carry on.

Posted by: Natalie H. | January 26, 2016 9:23 AM    Report this comment

Keep the pup! This dog knows that staying with you is the right thing for both of you.

Posted by: margeam | January 26, 2016 9:18 AM    Report this comment

Please make him part of your family. As much as it seems that you have found your "soul dog", this cute fella has found his soul mate in you.

Posted by: aanchal | January 26, 2016 9:05 AM    Report this comment

Your recent posting brought tears to my eyes....and just reinforces how much we all love dogs. Thanks for sharing such a heart-felt description of your little male furbaby love.

Posted by: agwatson | January 26, 2016 8:55 AM    Report this comment

This is a match made in heaven! After my Golden died I was going to look at Wheaten puppies. But then I told the breeder it was just too soon. He convinced me to "just look". Well my (now 13 yr old) Wheaten, Ellie, was one of 5 pups and just like your dog, when I went to "look" she plopped in front of me while the rest of the pups ran around like crazy. When they ran by she didn't budge. There was no way I was leaving without her. Ellie now growls and gnarls at my new pup, and sounds like she will eat her alive, but this is an old dogs way of playing with the puppy and they both thoroughly enjoy it. Good for your husband and Otto you will be one big happy now that you've made the right choice. This dog is meant for you.

Posted by: PeggO | January 26, 2016 8:54 AM    Report this comment

Umm.....I'm going to tell you something that you already know: brindle boy is your dog. I wish you the very best!

Posted by: scatman | January 26, 2016 8:53 AM    Report this comment

Yes I also think you have your answer and have had all along. You were just hoping for someone to give you good reason not to keep him. If it helps you sleep at night to say you will long term foster him, then go ahead and say that. Your heart has already told you otherwise.

Posted by: YIKMDLF | January 26, 2016 8:49 AM    Report this comment

Love the story but sorry that early spay/neutering is given such a boost. Did you neuter your--and how could you not keep a dog who chooses you--brindle or are you waiting until the faceplates close?

Posted by: Miss Carol | January 26, 2016 8:48 AM    Report this comment

I think you already have your answer. He sounds like a special heart dog that comes along so rarely. He will learn to give Otto his space, and that experience may result in a dog that can help you in your work. You've considered Otto, and think that will be fine. The pup will be a large, muscular dog with a lot of energy so your ability to exercise that will come into play too. If you should find that it is not working, you know a special home for a dog like this will come along. Sounds like he's destined for therapy work to me. I have a 10 month old I got recently after years of giving up my life to caregiving, and two recent deaths. I hope to eventually do therapy work with him. I love him to pieces, but your brindle pup would have been so perfect. That perfect home is out there for him, but it does sound very much like it might be yours.

Hugs to your husband. They put up with so much from us.

Now...names?

Posted by: Alice R. | January 26, 2016 8:44 AM    Report this comment

Sometimes the universe just delivers the perfect dog to us even if it isn't the perfect time. I think you made the right decision and, as you say, you can always place him later (although any dog that is as focused on you as this one is probably should stay where he wants to be.)

My husband is also not a dog person but it warms my heart to see him cuddle with our rescue dog.

Posted by: KATHY HALL | January 26, 2016 8:41 AM    Report this comment