Whole Dog Journal's Blog November 4, 2014

Last Foster Puppy Post

I could not WAIT for them to go to their forever homes, and the last one went home on Saturday... and now I miss them unbearably - their relentless exploring and fooling around, tireless curiosity, darling miniature barks and howls and growls,

and cheerful learning during our many-times-a-day-for-just-one-minute training sessions. It didn't help that I let the last puppy sleep with me in my bed, the last two nights I had him.

(That's what happens when you leave on business trips, Mr. Husband!) I hope his new owner allows him to sleep on the bed; he's the snuggliest puppy I've ever known.

Otto is getting a lot more kisses, however, so he's quite happy.

Thanks for such a wonderful story. I was so interested in how you kept a record of the different personalities and glad you let that last pup sleep in your bed on the last night.

Posted by: Edwina | November 4, 2014 2:22 PM    Report this comment

I agree, this all brings back precious memories. Many years ago we fostered puppies for a local shelter. It was so wonderful to have all those puppies and not be contributing to overpopulation. Yes, it was a lot of work and laundry, but those were some of the best years of my life. After two years we had four foster fails (two of those were momma dogs) and I was forced to quit, but not forever. The last of that group passed over the Rainbow Bridge just over a year ago, three months shy of 18. After ten years of not fostering, I got back into it a few years ago. My most recent foster fail is an old lady who is nearly blind and deaf, but she is a keeper! I have done much better letting them go this time around, but there have been many close calls. Lol!

Posted by: KKBaker | November 4, 2014 1:50 PM    Report this comment

Your a strong woman to do all that work and hold that warm puppy and give them to new homes. I admire you and understand the love you had for all of them.
You have made room for more lucky foster dogs to be helped by you.
Congratulations, job well done!

Posted by: ljstratton | November 4, 2014 1:47 PM    Report this comment

I'm going to miss these posts. These puppies look like mine did when he was their age (he's now 8)! Time has mellowed the memories of his frantic puppy days but I love every day we have together now.

Posted by: Chester's mom | November 4, 2014 12:34 PM    Report this comment

Several years ago we fostered about 30 puppies over a three year period of working with a rescue. Kept the first 3 we fostered (you mean that's NOT how it works????..lol), still have them plus one more.

Reading your adventures & seeing the pictures with this litter brought back so many good memories.

Puppies are the best!!!!!

Posted by: Scamp's mom | November 4, 2014 12:23 PM    Report this comment

Great thing you did, Nancy. And I loved when you described (earlier post) how polite and well behaved they were, just (just!) from the care, persistence, management and common sense you used while raising them. May they have long and happy lives with their loving owners.

Posted by: Carolyn M | November 4, 2014 12:05 PM    Report this comment

Absolutely precious puppy babies!!
I love them all, I fear I would not be able to let them go. ;)
Bless you, for all you do for them, and know just how much they love and appreciate you as well!!
God Bless

Posted by: Bexter | November 4, 2014 11:27 AM    Report this comment

How incredibly cute! Reminds me of one of my own when she was just a pup!

Posted by: AB in AR | November 4, 2014 11:25 AM    Report this comment