Whole Dog Journal's Blog December 13, 2011

Holiday Wishes

If you could have ONE holiday wish granted that would benefit your dog or dogs, what would it be?

If you could have ONE holiday wish granted that would benefit all dogs, what would that be?

I’ll go first: For my dog Otto, I’d wish that an agility club, fully outfitted with obstacles and populated by fun dog people, started in my town.

For all dogs, it would have to be the sterilization of all dogs (can I include cats?) except those whose owners had to qualify in some way to be allowed to have intact or breeding animals. Would they have to pass a test or prove their competence? Pay a fee? Have their dogs examined for worthiness? I don’t know; it’s an irrational wish. I just really want there to be an end to euthanizing unwanted pets that doesn’t result in warehousing; I want every pet to have a real home.

What about you? What would you wish for?

For my Samoyed, Gidget: lots of snow this winter! (we live in Washington, D.C.)

For all of Earth's dogs: Owners who care enough to subscribe to Whole Dog Journal.

Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah to all dog people and their pups!

Posted by: Tamara S | December 19, 2011 11:02 AM    Report this comment

I wish dogs (and other animals) would be honored and appreciated for who and what they are, that no animal would be without a guardian human who is committed to his/her health,happiness and wellbeing and that those who are lost would be found.
A shout out to Brother Wolf Animal Rescue in Asheville, NC for doing a wonderful job!

Posted by: Woofsong | December 19, 2011 10:29 AM    Report this comment

I apologize for the long list!
I forgot that it was supposed to be just ONE thing!
All I could think of was all the things that I'd ever wanted for our dogs & I got carried away. ;-)

Posted by: rsqdogsmom | December 14, 2011 3:46 PM    Report this comment

I DO NOT agree that neutering male dogs is the answer to overpopulation. Proper training, natural/good nutrition and responsible dog ownership is the answer to stopping unwanted pets. Responsible dog ownership will naturally eliminate puppy mills and careless back yard breeders. I have an intact standard poodle who I do not intend to breed. He is a true gentleman and does not mark, show sexual misbehavior or agression--ever. Science is now proving--what breeders in the past already knew) that keeping a male intact has many, many health benefits. My wish is that people will stop abondoning their precious dogs. Abandoning dogs because they are not trained properly or are no longer useful to the owner/breeder is creating most of the overpopulation and this isn't going to stop even if everyone neutered their dogs because they will just keep buying them and abandoning them.

Posted by: Patricia D | December 14, 2011 3:42 PM    Report this comment

My wish list:

Eliminate all BSL. Period. Ban the deed, not the breed.

Set a goal to close all puppy mills.
After that, it's an automatic FELONY with mandatory jail time.

New Federal laws for animal abusers:
1st offense, $1000 & 6 months in jail.
2nd offense, FELONY, no exceptions; $5000 & 1 year in jail; no further pet ownership.
3rd offense: What YOU DO is DONE to YOU. NO exceptions.

NO chained dogs left alone outside.

Federal money awarded to animal shelters and rescue groups instead of funding the ridiculous & wasteful studies they support now.

FREE behavior & training classes offered for new dog owners @ places that sell pet food.

NO dogs or cats permitted to be sold at pet stores.

Plus the required spay & neuter; more landlords permitting animal ownership;
less need for animal shelters; better breeding, etc.

And I wish that my poor boy, Wishbone, would overcome his fear of noise, strangers and being touched that he acquired when a rescue group sent an extremely shy,very young puppy to a prison training program that terrified him.
He only stayed there for 2 days but the damage will last a lifetime.
I'm praying for extra patience for both of us.

Posted by: rsqdogsmom | December 14, 2011 3:38 PM    Report this comment

For my beautiful Cavaliers, by grace every wish has been granted. For our Cavalier Rescue USA organization and each dedicated rescue group out there struggling to find decent, loving humans for their surrendered, furry friends, I wish for donations, responsible owner education, patronage, adoptees, and courage for our volunteers, our pups, and our devoted veterinarians who help us heal these little creatures. We try to right the wrongs through Rescue! My heart goes out to Carolyn M. She is living with the terrible outcomes of breeding greed. Hold your pup close, Carolyn. You are the best comfort she could ever have.

Posted by: Cavalier Kisses | December 14, 2011 3:17 PM    Report this comment

For my dog - that she wouldn't be so afraid of people and other dogs, and that I could be the one to help her with that.

For all dogs - pets - that they be rescued from abusive homes and that the people that hurt animals all serve time in jail - no exceptions, no first time warning, and that all pets get fixed. Breeders can pay a fee to be exempt and the fee would go to fix animals that share homes with people that can't. Puppies and kittens are cute, but there are way too many cute ones that are dying from neglect, cruelty and loneliness.

Posted by: keller1312 | December 14, 2011 12:19 PM    Report this comment

For all dogs, the love, dignity and respect that every noble and true heart merits. For those who mistreat animals, the same penalties that apply to the mistreatment of human animals. Kindness begets kindness. Pass the love around.

Posted by: Dog Mom | December 13, 2011 11:55 PM    Report this comment

I'd love to have a clean, well-maintained indoor space that could be reserved for our dog (dogs) to play in...that way there would be no mud/extreme heat or cold to interfere with exercise, and we could create our own safe play groups as opposed to the dog parks that can sometimes be too unpredictable.

More responsible pet owners so all pups have loving safe homes, and hotels that are pet friendly. And mean it. Lali and I just spent a lovely overnight stay and a great place but they claim to be pet friendly and then don't want the pups in any "common" areas like the lobby!

and for all...a warm bed and human to snuggle with!

Posted by: robin r | December 13, 2011 11:31 PM    Report this comment

My Holiday wish for my beautiful Hounds, Dexter and Lilith is that I be a worthy recipient of the love and loyalty they bestow on me on a daily basis and for all the Hounds of the world, my wish is this, that we Humans think more like Dogs! To all Dog people and your Dogs, have a Happy, Healthy and safe Christmas and New Year! Janine Whitelaw VIC australia

Posted by: Janine W | December 13, 2011 11:12 PM    Report this comment

That my Diva, and all dogs that are rescued from neglect, abuse, and just left to fend for themselves, find happy homes and forget the past and bask in the love of a forever home. That being said the jerks out there that hurt these loving animals suffer guilt.

Posted by: Unknown | December 13, 2011 3:43 PM    Report this comment

For my own dogs... more of my time so we can have more hikes and training and play time. For all dogs - easy... more homes than there are dogs, so every dog's life is valued as it should be.

Posted by: Pat M | December 13, 2011 12:37 PM    Report this comment

For Stella, my foster dog: a loving and understanding home of her own.

For Pongu, my resident mutt: to magically surmount all his fears and anxieties and ganky legs to become the champion nerd-dog I know he can be. (We'll get there someday, but it sure would be nice to make that road shorter and easier than it really is.)

For the dogs of the world: to be respected as thinking, feeling beings; to have owners who truly treat them well; never to be bred except for the betterment of the breed... and for people to agree that bettering the breed doesn't mean exaggerating them into caricatures or sacrificing healthy hearts for pretty coats, but enabling them to live happy, healthy, LONG lives.

Posted by: Jennifer A | December 13, 2011 11:15 AM    Report this comment

I wish that all Breed Specific Legislation (BSL) would be eliminated throughout the world. Such laws endanger all types of dogs, even purebred dogs. We need to hold irresponsible owners accountable for their actions and deal with vicious dogs regardless of breed. Hopefully Ohio will be a little closer to granting that wish by Christmas.

Another wish . . . close all puppy mills.

Posted by: ThrpyDogTeam | December 13, 2011 10:31 AM    Report this comment

My little adopted dog is suffering from congestive heart failure due to a heart murmur, thanks to poor breeding. I'd love for her to be well and that better, more responsible breeding practices be implemented to spare dogs from congenital defects that diminish their quality and length of life.

Building on what Nancy said, I'd love for every dog and cat to have a loving, responsible home.

Posted by: Carolyn M | December 13, 2011 9:54 AM    Report this comment