Whole Dog Journal's Blog January 4, 2016

Gender Preferences

It struck me one day when I was out for a hike with two of my best dog-owning friends and our combined eight dogs: Some people like female dogs best, and others like males. I was there with my two male dogs and my son’s male dog (whom I selected as a prospect for my son from my local shelter), whereas both of my friends have only female dogs (three and two, respectively). The longer I thought about it, the more the trend was apparent: every dog I’ve chosen for myself has been a male. And my two hiking companions said it was true for them, too; their “heart dogs” have all been females.

Litter of puppies

There are nine puppies, but only one makes my heart go pitter-pat, and it's that boy (of course) on the right.

I’m currently fostering a litter of nine pitbull-mix puppies, seven of whom are female. I’ve had them for about four weeks now – long enough that I have sorted out their little personalities and quirks. Five of the nine are quick to detect when there is a little training session going on and they leap to volunteer, whereas the other four consistently decline these sessions in favor of playing among themselves. A couple of them are far more interested in exploring their environment than making a connection with the humans in it, though several more are little snugglebunnies who just want to sit in someone’s lap and exchange loving looks. One is already sort of a bully with her siblings. And one – who just happens to be one of the two males in the litter – is making me strongly consider whether I really do want only two dogs (as I have maintained for a number of years), or whether three makes far more sense. I am so in love with this boy! And of course it’s one of the only two boys. There is just something about his calm, stolid demeanor and the focused attention he pays to me that is immensely attractive to me in a dog – and while the odds are good that there is a female in this 8- or 9-week-old litter with the same trait, I just haven’t “seen” her yet; it’s this guy I find my eye constantly drawn to, and my heart flopping around for.

I wonder: How many of you have same-gender or mixed-gender “packs” in your home? Have you had “heart dogs” of both genders, or only one? And if you are like me, and have a strong preference for dogs of one gender or another, what is it about male or female dogs that you most enjoy?

I strongly prefer males as well. After nearly 15 years as a pet trainer, if I have to, I generalize the difference as follows:

Males: "I love you, I love you, I love you!"

Females: "Love me. Love me. Love me." Or the sometimes more aloof variation, "You may love me now."

Posted by: Caninestein | January 6, 2016 10:22 PM    Report this comment

I have two shelties, both male. I prefer males; all but one of my horses were males (geldings). In the case of mare vs. gelding, geldings are generally steadier; mares can be moody. In the case of my two shelties, the older one is neutered, the younger (who will be two in February) is not. My younger sheltie has a much happier, self-confident disposition than my older dog, who is intelligent but extremely nervous. I do not think it has anything to do with the neutering; it is innate.
I wonder if my first horse had been a mare, and that mare had been a good one, if I might have preferred females? :-)

Posted by: Lucy G | January 6, 2016 9:00 PM    Report this comment

My first dog was my 13th birthday present, a male cocker spaniel. We were practically inseparable until I left home for college and then joyfully reunited when I lived at home during grad school. He died at age 14 and I was heartbroken. I went through a dogless period until I divorced my non-dog-lover-husband. After that I had males while the children and I lived in a city. Once we moved to a rural area, however, I indulged my childhood dreams and became a sort of rotating unofficial animal shelter. (Begun by my daughter who spread the word through every school she attended that "if you have a dog or cat that your parents won't let you keep, give it to us. My mom won't mind.") Looking back, we ended up with more females than males because the owners didn't want any more puppies or kittens and couldn't afford spaying. My vet gave me a discount on routine medical care and spaying and neutering and my children had plenty of friends who enjoyed dog training and then could usually find good homes for them. Once the children moved away, I went back to indulging my own preferences. I had mostly males until I went to the shelter to find a friend for my lonely dog whose companion had died. I was shown a large pen of total chaos -- dogs of all sizes, ages and genders pushing up to the fence -- and in the midst one female with a litter of 6 puppies that she was keeping safe from being stepped or bullied and was an island of calm. I took one of the puppies home, but I was so impressed by her that I told them that if she wasn't adopted when all the pups had gone that I would adopt her. Three weeks later they called to say that all but one female puppy had gone and there wasn't much prospect for her. So that was how I got Babe who was my heart dog for the rest of her sixteen years. She brought up subsequent puppies and kept order with older dogs. It has been 13 years and I still miss her. There have been other dogs since, some male, some female and I have loved them, but none has been Babe.

Posted by: peppersmum | January 6, 2016 12:04 PM    Report this comment

I have never chosen a pet based on gender. However, I previously had 2 female dogs. I now have 2 male dogs. I loved them all and was closely bonded to them all; however, I do think the female dogs were more "1 person" dogs than my boys are. Our first dog, Dixie, was a stray beagle found in my former husband's parent's neighborhood. She was so attached to her "daddy", she would chase his truck down the road if she had the chance. She would sometimes snap at me or my son, but she was steadfastly loyal to her dad. Our 2nd dog, Winnie, was a border collie/Jack Russell mix. She was very closely bonded to me. I was her person. She followed me everywhere, and protected me fiercely. She was my best friend and when she passed away last year I was absolutely devastated. I could only live about 6 days without a canine companion. I then adopted Cooper, a "Yorkiechon", or yorkie/bichon mix. He is the sweetest boy ever. He loves me, but he loves everyone else too. He will cuddle and kiss whoever is available. A couple months ago, I started volunteering at an animal shelter every week. I fell in love with a Fox Terrier mix. He was a little puppy who was found wandering around a college campus. He was severely underweight and full of parasites. I decided to adopt him. I renamed him Nash and he's got the same sweet disposition as Cooper. He doesn't discriminate and loves everyone. So my observation is the females seem to be bonded with only 1 person, but males can bond with everyone.

Posted by: dog%26catmom67 | January 6, 2016 10:58 AM    Report this comment

Hmmm. Some interesting posts. I currently have a 13 year old male American Pit Bull Terrier, a 13 year old male standard Rat Terrier, and a 13 year old female toy Rat Terrier. I must say, while I love them all, the boys play up to my attention needs. Definitely "Momma's Boys". They have to be near me always. When I move, they follow. My female, while a better night time snuggler, is more aloof during day hours and is decidedly the queen and sole ruler of the house. I mean when you have to get up to escort your Pit Bull into a room because he's afraid of the small she-dog...so sad and so mean to such sweet boys. Hard to say what the future holds, but I think I'd lean strongly towards appeasing males.

Posted by: Nadine | January 5, 2016 8:56 PM    Report this comment

All my dogs have been heart dogs. However, the males seem to have a bit more personality than the males. The males are goofy, playful, and loveable. The females are more steadfast, and watchful, paying attention to what the humans are doing. I love them all. I've had most males because I normally only have dogs that are in need of a home and so many males seem to be homeless or need a family to take them. All unneutered when I got them too. I think males, if they are not neutered, create a bit more of a handful trying to get out of the yard. After they are neutered and settle down, that usually goes away.

Posted by: Patriciag | January 5, 2016 8:45 PM    Report this comment

Mixed sexes. By choice I prefer females -- the are 'tidier' and don't piddle on things they shouldn't. On the other hand I have had both make and female 'heart dogs'.

Posted by: Jenny H | January 5, 2016 7:26 PM    Report this comment

I breed standard poodles. Smart, smart, smart, sweet! Have had lots of other breeds before I was adopted by these guys. First of all, each dog, like each human,is an individual. But IN GENERAL, the boys are adoring. You say,"Jump!". They say, "How high, mom?". The girls cuddle up and kiss, all the while thinking,"How do I get out of this jumping thing, and still look like a rose?" I once overheard another breeder say,"When I'm an old woman, the only dog there will be is a boy standard poodle!", and I know what she means. Don't get me wrong. I've had heart dogs of both genders. Still do. They are all different. And, as far as I'm concerned, they're all welcome!

Posted by: Moofsmom | January 5, 2016 6:09 PM    Report this comment

Our very first dog 30 years ago was a female. Loved her to death, but we have owned 5 male dogs since. I don't think I favor one over the other, but subconsciously I suppose I do. I think the dogs actually pick us, so maybe that's the secret!

Posted by: Cook | January 5, 2016 5:49 PM    Report this comment

Over the years we have had many dogs, mostly GSD's. All female. We had a mix lab/pit bull and a mix Australian Sheepdog, our only male. I have to say I used to prefer females since they were so loving and loyal but that was all I knew until Pete came into our lives. He was found on the side of the road on a very hot August day. We had Lady in the vets office for routine stuff when I heard this little cry from the back. Once I saw him I fell in love and brought him home. He was all of 5 lbs of black and white fluff! I was told he would be about 25 lbs, our smallest dog ever! He grew to be 75 lbs and fit right in the the lab and the shepherd. We now have a male GSD puppy, Cruizzer, who is 13 weeks and about 35 lbs! He is a ball of energy and brains! Passed puppy kindergarten with flying colors. He is my current heart dog. All the others where my heart dogs in their time.

Posted by: M%26M | January 5, 2016 5:11 PM    Report this comment

I have had 3 German Shepherds all selected as male, and a Wheaten Terrier who is female. Although I dearly love my Wheaten, she tends to be a bit more aloof. The boys are my "mush dogs"; cuddly, needy and and all with incredibly sweet dispositions. Wheatie (the Wheaten), is also extremely sweet, but everything is on her terms. The greatest thing about her is that whenever we have adopted a new puppy she has taken them under her wing and taught them how to play, and has been the greatest surrogate mommy ever! For the boys, new pups are either play things or pests to be ignored. My stronger connections and my heart have always been drawn to the boys, but I do very much love and admire my little "Mama" girl.

Posted by: dipoficat | January 5, 2016 4:54 PM    Report this comment

My true love and very best friend is my 10 pound, 7 year old Chihuahua mix (rat terrier perhaps). Have had dogs all my life, (am now 89 yrs old), except for the 15 yrs. before being given Milo at the age of about 6 months. I was now alone and my daughter and granddaughter kept telling me to get a dog; I kept saying NO, as I had a big job just taking care of myself. However, when my granddaughter found this puppy in an orange grove and could not find its owner, nor could she keep it, they insisted he was meant for me. After a five hour drive home with the best baby sitting next to me, I was convinced he was for me. Now, 7 years later, I can say he is the smartest dog and best companion I've ever had--the best of 9 dogs during my lifetime. That includes wire haired terrier, 3 dachshunds, German shepherd, visila, collie, Doberman pinscher, and lastly this independent, intelligent, lovable Chi mix. By the way, I did not want him 'cause I believed Chihuahuas are too noisy and too shivery. I was all wrong, thank goodness.

Posted by: glorybee27 | January 5, 2016 4:25 PM    Report this comment

I love all animals, my preference is dogs. I've had both male and female and loved them all equally. The main reason I would choose a female is simple...male dogs tend to "mark" everything. I'm down to one miniature dachshund, female, the others have passed on due to old age. She is 14 yrs. and still lively and she leaves the furniture and anything else on the floor alone. Still, if someone were to give me a male I would take him in a heartbeat. My lone male dachshund was a real cutie and melted my heart. But then they all do.

Posted by: LuBe | January 5, 2016 2:28 PM    Report this comment

I have loved, and been loved by, three heart dogs. Each was a female -- Trixie, a Rat Terrier mix, who I did not choose but who became my only sibling; Stella, the most incredible Sheltie/Golden/Chow mix ever, with whom I fell in love at first sight the day after Christmas in 1996; and Sandy, a little old lady Beagle who was the far better half of our Therapy Dog Team ("Team Doubble Rainbow"), for far too short a run. I also have fostered many senior, special needs dogs. All but one of them --big or small, fluffy or smooth -- was a female, by my choice.

I do not know why I am attracted to, and prefer, female dogs. Trixie and Stella were tough, energetic, and very smart, with ferocious loyalty to me, but also a sweet playful side. Trixie was a far more indepent thinker and do-er, Stella waited for momma's cues, unless Stella perceived a potential danger to me that I had not perceived. Sandy was a love bucket, who joyfully worked with special needs children and adults, and who was physically and spiritually embraced by everyone she met. But, these three heart dogs did have one trait in common -- each could read my soul. We were partners, in everything we did together.

I also live with a clowder of two to three rescue kitties. All but one of my kitties have been girls, but my little boy was just as much of a heart kitty as are/were each of my girls.

Posted by: stellamommie | January 5, 2016 2:12 PM    Report this comment

I am with a bunch of you and prefer males. I have miniature schnauzers now. Throughout my life I've had a number of breeds and sexes. My childhood dog was a male that we very cleverly named "Puppy". (That's what you get when you let small children name your pet). He was an outside dog. This was many years ago when people left their animals outside. I was a cat person in my early years. I've had female cats and dogs and I prefer males. I'm female so maybe there is something to that. Once I found the schnauzer breed, I doubt I'll ever have another breed. I have 3 males right now and they all have unique personalities. But one of them that I brought home when he was 6 weeks is my heart dog. He is the most awesome dog I've ever had. He is funny, smart, playful and did I mention he was funny. He regularly does things that crack me up. He is in your face play and I've spoiled him miserably. He is the official "Smoocher" for MSRH. I guess schnauzers don't usually lick and he is an real licker. He is also black. I've read that black dogs tend to lick more. I also love my other two as they are so different, but this little guy sticks to me like glue and I take him with me to every place that will allow a dog. He does rescue runs with me as well when I drive around the state to pick up rescues for Miniature Schnauzer Rescue of Houston. He is a hell of a companion. This story was very interesting and I enjoyed everyone's comments. That's to all.

Posted by: seaprincessinc | January 5, 2016 2:12 PM    Report this comment

I had always had female dogs until I lost my last female. I was looking for a specific dog from a rescue and the first available was a male. I took Dodger and he was my first real heart dog. While fostering another male, Milo became my second heart dog and truly the very best dog I have ever had. We recently adopted another foster, this one a female. We love her, but my two boys are the ones who tug at my heart strings. My advice is never say never or always. Be open minded 🐾

Posted by: BobbieR | January 5, 2016 2:01 PM    Report this comment

We are pretty much gender neutral. My little guy is my heart dog, but I have had both growing up. I currently have three grandpuppies - my daughter has a labradoodle (mostly lab) female and just adopted a male lab mix from a rescue a month ago. My son has a female beagle mix rescue. My daughter's new little guy watches his "big sister" and does whatever she does. So we have 2 male and 2 female. The grandpups don't live with me but are at my house or we are at their respective homes all the time. I honestly can't say that I prefer one over the other. They all have my heartstrings in different ways - just like my son and daughter do!

Posted by: Motherto2 | January 5, 2016 1:42 PM    Report this comment

I have been running a nation wide dog rescue for 15 years. At one time I found it so interesting that people had definite preferences for a male or female. So I started a little study of my own. What I found was very interesting. I started to ask people what gender their first pet was... no matter what the pet was.. bird, cat, dog etc.. I found in 95 % of the cases whatever the first gender they had determined the gender of pet they preferred the rest of their lives.. I myself prefer a male, and my hearts dog has been a male. That said I have two females at this time and love them dearly, but will never replace that special bond I felt with the males.

Mary Palmer, President
Northcentral Maltese Rescue, Inc

Posted by: Maltese Rescue | January 5, 2016 1:26 PM    Report this comment

It's interesting to read what people notice about male vs female. I never chose a dog for its sex. I lived with a variety of purebreds and mutts, male and female, all my life. My best dog was female, abandoned in the river at 6 weeks old. Differences between each dog depended on breed, early life experiences, and whether my handling was good or not. So put me in the "both" category.

Posted by: SundogsHawaii | January 5, 2016 1:18 PM    Report this comment

While I am a relative newcomer to dogs, I've been owned by three different Australian Shepherds - sometimes as an only dog, sometimes as part of a pair. When the pair was same sex, all was fine for over a year til the relative newcomer decided to make a move to displace the older male - seven bit wounds later, the young one was returned and rehomed by the breeder. Later, the new dog #2 was a female, for a mixed pair. The old guy took her in stride; she was a silly little goofball who won the hearts of my son and husband, but has proven herself exceedingly frustrating as a competition partner - I never know if I will have Dr. Jekyll, or Ms. Hyde in the ring when the leash comes off. When I lost the old guy to cancer this summer, the little female has been lonely, but still so unpredictable as a teammate, teaching partner, and competition partner. My search for my next Obedience Trial Champion, has been limited to males - just because the old guy was dependable, predictable, biddable, and willing to perform whatever and whenever I asked. The little female, on the other hand, has far more of a "what's in it for ME?" attitude, and seems to choose to disobey whenever it will cost the most money in entry fees, hotel rooms, and travel miles! Still, she makes me laugh - and wiser heads than mine have been saying for years, the dog you NEED to know and understand, is there to teach you what you need to learn from the partnership, even if he/she drives you bananas sometimes. // I learn quite a bit from handlers who work as effectively with their males as their females, or from those who just prefer one sex over the other. There's always something new to observe, that might help me help someone else in the future.

Posted by: mamafirebird | January 5, 2016 12:36 PM    Report this comment

I have English Springer Spaniels and started out with females when I had dogs of my own. The first boy came from a litter of one of my females that the co-owning breeder had and he opened my eyes to the sex differences that went beyond hormones. That was almost 20 years ago and subsequently I have bred ESS and tend to have around 4 living at home of both sexes. I find the females to be more independent and strong minded and the boys to possess more energy by certainly my "lover-boys" and somewhat goofy. When the girls take a snitch they can be much harsher and like to take charge of youngsters (envision a Governess in a starched white apron). By contrast if the boys take a snitch their confrontations are short and sharp with lots of noise but end quickly with generally little blood loss. Generally they seem calmer as a group when everyone is present (e.g. a gender-balance) and if I need to leave my old male behind, he is much happier to have one of the younger girls stay with him in his dotage. The dynamics are fascinating and now I suspect I want/need to have both. I will tell you I think if I needed my guys to help me find food, I would pick my girls. In the field they are all business. The boys are flashy and fast but less precise and more prone to distraction. The boys, though, are easier to work in the performance ring - the girls could give a flying foo-foo and are quite happy to present the furry paw if they think I am pressing too hard. Fascinating.

Posted by: ESSlover | January 5, 2016 12:32 PM    Report this comment

We have 3 Havanese dogs. 2 females and 1 male. All registered therapy dogs that visit heart, cancer & trauma patients at our local medical center. The 2 females are my teammates, I and each of the 2 females were trained together and have to pass a test every 2 years to keep our accreditation. The girls love me so much and follow me every where. The boy is my wife's teammate and has eyes only for her. Yogi pays no attention to me. I can't take Yogi to the hopital and my wife can't take either of the girls. Both of the girls are blondes and I tell folks that it's great when a guy has 2 beautiful blondes that are crazy over him !

Posted by: Havanese | January 5, 2016 12:20 PM    Report this comment

We prefer make dogs in our home. Nothing against females but the females We've had tended to be more independent and more focused on themselves and less on the people in their lives. We've had Saint Bernards (both male and female), and Chow Chows (again both male and female) and have found this to be true in both breeds. Our last dog before the current was a black lab (male) and he was perfect and my heart dog. We lost him in April 2015, and got an 11 week old yellow lab (male) who stole my heart from the beginning. When I was trying to look at the two liters of puppies, he kept coming back to me and crawling up in my lap for a nap. It seemed he was saying "please pick me", so of course, I did. He is 11 months old now and has already turned into another "heart dog". Couldn't love him more. He loves to snuggle with either my husband or me and is already turning out to be the perfect dog for us. So, yea, although I love dogs in general, males are my choice (and my husband's as well). Love my lab! ❤️🐾

Posted by: Dlhamm | January 5, 2016 12:03 PM    Report this comment

I have only had German Shepherds and altho my first heart dog was a female...my other loves have been males. All have been rescues. Currently we also have a male Flat Coat Ret..my husbands heart dog! who is a total love bug . But I think that we are basically gender neutral.

Posted by: dogsdolls | January 5, 2016 12:03 PM    Report this comment

I have only had three dogs in my life - but always females. I've never really thought about it, but I had a bad experience with a "humping" male dog as a kid, and that might be a reason. I've also had at least 10 cats in my lifetime and they were all male! So who knows? Maybe I just thought dogs were girls and cats were boys☺️ Loved them all!

Posted by: cleyboldt@gmail.com | January 5, 2016 11:41 AM    Report this comment

It seems in my case that I have preferred a male over a female even though I have had both genders and have definitely loved both but the male dogs seem to be more dedicated and needier than the females which seem to have been far more independent. I've had mostly German Shepherds and the males were both protection trained and the dedication and loyalty was irreplaceable. I've noticed the same thing in the other breeds that I've had.

Posted by: Carly/cara | January 5, 2016 11:35 AM    Report this comment

I totally agree with CCDR, male dogs, all the way. I had only females for over 20 years, thinking that, like humans, they would be more affectionate. But a breeder friend said that isn't true in dogs. The females tend to be more independent because their innate role in life is the care and safety of the litter, whereas the males are responsible for the needs of those pups, i.e., food. Since that's taken care of in domestic dogs, they can focus all attention on their owners. Hence the velcro dog :-). That's a very basic generalization, not a definition by any means. Every one of my females was a snugglebunny, nothing against them at all. But I decided to test her theory, got a male dog, and never looked back. All males for the next 20 years...I love those in-your-face, 75lb lap dogs. And to Squirtsie, I had the same thoughts about belly rubs. Took me about ten seconds to get over it, there's still plenty of belly space available. That was my laugh for this morning. Bottom line, of course, the only real requirement is that they be dogs, either gender (or both!). Nothing better, but you all know that, or we wouldn't be having this discussion!

Posted by: GiftofGalway | January 5, 2016 11:30 AM    Report this comment

I've often wondered about this. Growing up we always had females. I think my did didn't feel so badly about spaying as he did neutering! But many were great dogs, one in particular was truly a heart dog. She licked the tears from my cheeks as I cried my way through those rough early teen years.
But then my new husband insisted on a male, and this dog has been the best dog in the entire world for both of us! I discovered that a male neutered at the appropriate time stayed a puppy forever, in all of the best ways! We now have a 2nd male and a little rescued female that I couldn't resist. I used to laugh that she is way female dogs are called bitches! A sweetie, she can really fill the title when she wants to. And at 25 lbs., she will boss those big 80 lbs. boys around all day! But they get along better than any three dogs we have ever had. I doubt that I'd ever bring more than one female into the pack now. I guess our preferences can change with our experiences!

Posted by: katjanes | January 5, 2016 11:17 AM    Report this comment

We have had five Aussies over the last 20+ years - two females and three males. We first had two females in succession, and then added a male pup. Until that point, we 'thought' we had a preference for females, but Zeke changed all that. Each dog, female or male, has stolen our hearts in different ways. At this point, I would say we have no gender preference, and would put more focus on the pup's or dog's personality traits and fit for our household / lifestyle when making a selection.

Posted by: Jswitte | January 5, 2016 11:13 AM    Report this comment

someone once described males and females as Males saying 'I love you I love you I love you' and the females say 'Love me Love me Love me!'

Posted by: samnsara | January 5, 2016 11:08 AM    Report this comment

we have golden retrievers in our home and we add a new one about every 4-5 years. We mix up the sexes on purpose as we love the traits that both exhibit. we will always have at least one male and at least one female. Three is the perfect number of dogs in a home.

Posted by: samnsara | January 5, 2016 11:06 AM    Report this comment

we always have both. when we add a new one to the house hold we do male female male female. Both have been my heart dogs...the personalities are so different.

Posted by: samnsara | January 5, 2016 11:03 AM    Report this comment

I have fallen in love with every dog I have ever owned male or female but I lean toward females for one reason, belly rubs, especially basset hound bellies. If you never rubbed a female basset hound belly you don't know what your missing. There is that uninterrupted belly that is just irresistible. Plus basset hounds have a habit of laying flat on their backs & exposing themselves.

All of my dogs seem to know this weakness of mine because when I want them to do something they don't want to do they just flip over & they know I will always give them a belly rub. My newest rescue Ned is the only dog I have owned that can't seem to do it but it so cute when he tries, he just keeps flopping over to one side or the other.

Posted by: Squirtsie | January 5, 2016 11:02 AM    Report this comment

We have a gender mixed home. Always one male and one female. Both genders have their own quirks and characteristics and I tend to love all those quirks equally and cannot imagine living without either. Though my heart dog was a female.

Posted by: YIKMDLF | January 5, 2016 11:01 AM    Report this comment

Right now, we have 5 dogs; 4 males and a female. Males have always been our preference. Females just seemed more self-reliant and not as interested in interacting with us. That being said, our female is the most loving, sweet, well-behaved dog we have ever had. She potty-trained with only one accident, put herself to bed in her crate at night and everyone who meets her wants us to let them have her. She made us feel like perfect dog parents and gave us the confidence to get two puppies a month apart the next year--both males. They have reminded us just how hard raising a puppy can be.

Posted by: Kaliki | January 5, 2016 10:51 AM    Report this comment

Your article really made me think. Thank you.
We have had mostly female dogs, the majority of them adopted. There are currently 3 (black) dogs in my household, 2 females and 1 male. The eleven year old male Flat Coated Retriever (adopted from the Humane Society at 10 months of age) is my soul-mate as was the only other male dog we had over the years. Love my girls but am definitely more connected to the boys. My husband, on the other hand, has found his true loves among the girls. Funny how that works, isn't it?

Posted by: blackdogsrule | January 5, 2016 10:47 AM    Report this comment

I have always had male dogs and my current GSD is a female named Gracie. I had serious doubts about my choice for Gracie's first couple of years with me. She was SO different from my former guys. My former pets were more easy-going, accepting of their role (and mine!), easier to train. Gracie was a challenge, more sensitive, reactive, accepting of obedience. The guys were the 'strong, silent type,' whereas Gracie does a pretty good imitation of a bad opera singer when she is getting her nails clipped! But on the positive side, Gracie is more tuned into my moods, more cuddly. I think, with the passage of time, we will be inseparable; but I think I'd go back to male dogs!

Posted by: LoveGSDs | January 5, 2016 10:38 AM    Report this comment

Definitely! My heart dogs have always been males! All the dogs I had as a child were males. Every dog that I picked "on purpose" (as opposed to the ones that were dumped on me or rescued by me) have been males. Three of my four dogs now are males and the female is one I rescued, adopted out and took back in when the people decided she was too much for them. There's just something about having my "Momma's Boys" that I love. I've loved every female dog I've had, but I don't feel like I have the same connection that I have with my males!

Posted by: CCDR | January 5, 2016 10:30 AM    Report this comment