Whole Dog Journal's Blog November 15, 2010

This old dog is learning a new trick: Video!

For years, I’ve been begging the powers that be who own this magazine for the resources that would enable the production of videos that would accompany articles in the magazine. My concept was that people learn differently, and while some people can read about something (and look at the photos and captions) it won’t make sense to other people until they can see it acted out – video! I thought it would be especially helpful for training articles; people could see exactly how quickly you need to click the clicker, how the placement and presentation of a treat is important when you want a dog to hold his position, how you could shape a behavior by rewarding successive approximations of what would finally become the desired behavior . . . the options are endless.

Recently, my wishes came true. Our publisher equipped me with video and audio recording equipment and the computer technology required to produce video. Go for it, girl!

But wait! In my dreams, I filmed the action, and selected the footage that would best show my readers what the article was talking about . . . and then I guess I’d just hand that footage over to someone else, and then the video would appear! Voila!

Well, that’s just not how we do things around here. Publishing budgets are tight – what budgets aren’t, these days? So if I want video – and I do – I’m going to have to learn to produce it myself (and some support and encouragement from HQ).

The first video I produced by myself is currently on the website, accompanying the article about dog daycare. It’s not perfect, it contains some glitches and bobbles, and I can’t stand to see or listen to myself, but I’m learning. I hope to improve and produce a lot more video on topics that will help our readers see what we’ve been talking about.

Here’s a question for you: What aspect of training that you’ve read about in Whole Dog Journal perplexes you the most? Is there a training activity that you just can’t visualize or understand? Let me know, and I’ll put it on the video “to do” list. I’m excited to have the tools to show you – not just tell you -- how powerful positive training can be.

-Nancy Kerns

Hi Nancy, About your question - I had a devil of of time understanding how to teach 'Leave It'. The act required physical coordination and the whole premise seemed counter intuitive to me at the time. It finally sunk in, but I think this would be well suited for a video.

Posted by: LAB | November 21, 2010 4:28 AM    Report this comment

Great Idea & Great Video!! Thanks

Posted by: EILEEN D | November 16, 2010 3:06 PM    Report this comment

Great idea, and nice video! Question: Are there plans to make a note in the paper copy of Whole Dog Journal, when a relevant video is available? That way, those of us that don't normally read the on-line version would know to look for the video.

Also, someone suggested videos about dog body language, I agree, that would be awesome.

Posted by: LINDA F | November 16, 2010 2:51 PM    Report this comment

I agree the video was fine and clearly demonstrated your points. I'd love to see videos demonstrating various types of dog body language. I'm pretty good at spotting calming signals in my own dogs but it would help to see them in dogs with different play styles.

Posted by: KATHY HALL | November 16, 2010 2:10 PM    Report this comment

Gosh Nancy, I think you've done a terrific job with this. You looked and sounded good, the clips illustrated what you were talking about ... loved it!

Posted by: Carolyn M | November 16, 2010 2:01 PM    Report this comment

GREAT job Nancy! I loved your video and couldn't agree more with everything you said. I'm looking forward to seeing more of them. Please tell your publisher that the readers appreciate the videos.

Posted by: borange01 | November 16, 2010 1:35 PM    Report this comment

I have trained using a clicker and learned by watching Gary Wilkes live as well as Virginia Broitman.
The basic attention getting behavior is a good start and the most serious is how to handle aggression (not serious biting, but showing teeth, growling and ignoring commands, etc.)

Consider contacting Virginia Broitman in VA. she made 2 of the top selling videos ('Take a Bow Wow' series) for help in how to present the material and general help in an approach. I know her personally, and she is a terrific person and seriously experienced at postive reinforcement training.

Posted by: Douglas H | November 16, 2010 12:13 PM    Report this comment

Hi Nancy,
Very professional video! Well done! None of us like how our voices sound to our own ears. You are easy to listen to and it's nice to put sound and action to your words.

Great addition to The Whole Dog Journal, my all time favorite Dog periodical. I have learned so much from your publication. My crew really appreciates the job you have done educating me. Thank you!

Posted by: ThrpyDogTeam | November 16, 2010 11:54 AM    Report this comment