Whole Dog Journal's Blog March 7, 2016

Dogs Who Readily Pee in the Rain

This is what I’m grateful for this chilly, rainy morning: Three dogs who willingly and quickly go right outdoors and get to work. Not all at once, of course: there is a peeing order that is aligned with the pecking order. The puppy goes first. Tito, the older small dog, goes next. Otto, the benevolent leader of my little pack of three, checks to make sure it’s really happening; Tito is so small it’s hard to tell. Only after everyone else is done does Otto go back over both spots and mark them himself.

This is what I’m sorry for: The fact that I rehomed the foster dog who takes the longest to pee of any dog I’ve ever known with my sister, who lives across the street from me. From my front window, where I sit at my computer and work, I can see the top of her umbrella over her backyard fence. This morning it was there for a very long time; it made me shiver from inside my warm office. Sorry, Pam!

How are you guys holding up this winter? Do your dogs easily do what they need to do when the weather is cold, snowy, or wet? Or do you have to join them in an extended cold-weather experience? Do they have more accidents indoors when they don’t want to get their feet wet or icy?

All three of my Chihuahuas are trained to pee pads so if the weather is bad it doesn't matter. My 10 year old doesn't like to go out in the rain but the 2 7 year olds don't care. Sometimes they all go outside and then run upstairs and pee on the pad lol

Posted by: bless5488 | March 11, 2016 10:27 AM    Report this comment

one of my guys is terrified of thunder, so when storms are forecast we have to get out there in advance and not again until long after it's clear. fortunately storms usually don't last long here. the other 2 see rain and stand on the porch looking at me until I put my coat on and stand in the rain with them. :)

Posted by: Marge | March 9, 2016 7:17 AM    Report this comment

We have been incredibly fortunate that our Soft-Coated Wheaten Terrier will go out in any weather. Our dog walker says he's the only dog she walks that never gives her any trouble due to weather! I always attribute it to the fact that Wheatens are an Irish breed and since Ireland is known for its rainy climate, that's the reason it never bothers him!

Posted by: Colleen Q. | March 8, 2016 5:55 PM    Report this comment

I use a pop-up picnic canopy in the rain. With the California drought, my chihuahua didn't see too much bad weather in the first 4 years of her life but when it comes - she DOES NOT LIKE IT! With the canopy on the lawn, she goes out the doggy door (it took us 3 months and untold treats to train her to use that), takes her time sniffing around, does her thing, and then comes inside (it took another 3 months to teach her to come back the opposite direction through the doggy door). It's a lot better than standing outside in my bathrobe with an umbrella and soggy slippers!

Posted by: Sunny Day | March 8, 2016 12:28 PM    Report this comment

My female pomeranian ran my veterinary clinic. She needed to go outside one rainy day and came to get me at my desk. I walked her to the back door and stood there while she refused to go outside. I shut the door, came back in, and went back to work. So Autumn went to the receptionist to ask to be let outside. Debbie told me my dog needed to go outside, I replied she wouldn't go in the rain, to which my trusted receptionist said, "You just don't know how to do it. And if you tell anyone I did this, I will deny it." She then got the umbrella, took Autumn outside, and stood there until she was finished - both of them nice and dry. That dog was NOT spoiled one little bit! HA!

Posted by: sharon Reamer | March 8, 2016 11:32 AM    Report this comment

Our Doberman hated the rain....at first. I'd have to push his little butt out the door, but once out there he was fine. Now we have a Standard schnauzer & he doesn't seem to mind. Both had/have amazing bladder control!

Posted by: joanne.c | March 8, 2016 10:42 AM    Report this comment

We don't have snow but during the rainy season they pretty much refuse to go out until it's not raining. I'm amazed how long they can hold it sometimes. Of course if they're already out when the rain starts, they stay in the rain until I insist they come in. & yes, I have a screen enclosure they could be in. Go figure...

Then again these are the same dogs that will jump into any body of water to swim but turn on the hose for a bath & you'd think I was spraying them with acid...lol

If it's raining before i leave for work I've been known to throw them outside... they do their thing (head down & flattened ears no less...) & run back inside...lol

It is, however, funny watching 3 dogs line up to pee over wherever the 1st dog goes. I love my pack... ;)

Posted by: Scamp's mom | March 8, 2016 10:41 AM    Report this comment

My little Yorkie goes on pee pads and outside. THANK GOD FOR THOSE PEE PADS because last winter here in New England was brutal. I don't know what I would have done. The snow was so high, and there was just no place for people to walk their dogs. There was like 4 ft. of snow in back yards and some people just shoveled out a patch for the dogs to go. The ones that didn't have yards had to try and walk their dogs on streets that had been made so narrow because of snow banks.

My dog doesn't like rain or snow or wind or cold or too hot. LOL, she is a little Queen, so again I am SO greatfull for the pee pads!!

Posted by: Sportschick | March 8, 2016 10:10 AM    Report this comment

We live in the mountains and my senior cocker spaniel is a real champ! The best advice given in puppy training class was teach a command for the "dog duties" time. Ours is a rapid, "tinkle tinkle" and it works 99% of the time. When the weather is nasty he gets out there, rain, sun, moon or snow, and does it, no messing around.
The other 1% non compliance is when some other animal has been through our yard, bear, coyote, raccoon and he get's a little distracted. Who can blame him.

Posted by: Dexter Puccini | March 8, 2016 9:54 AM    Report this comment

I was blessed to have good weather the first 1 1/2 weeks of having my puppy. Last night, the rain confused him and he did not go (except inside). This morning we were able to do "business" before the storms came. I see a lot of umbrella use this coming week....

Posted by: katwalk44 | March 8, 2016 9:51 AM    Report this comment

It's my smallest dog, a little rescue Pom, who runs out first! He has run out in hail storms he has to go so badly. Slower to follow is Hutch (at 18lbs.); he really hates to go out when it's raining, but once Bodie does his business, he feels compelled to go mark the spot. If not for Bodie, I think Hutch would put it off till the weather clears. This is not true for fluffy snow though--they can't get outside fast enough for that.

Posted by: nitelite | March 8, 2016 9:48 AM    Report this comment