Whole Dog Journal's Blog July 26, 2010

Why is Nancy Kerns excited about the new WDJ website?

Welcome to the new WDJ website! I’m excited about it, and here are the top five reasons why:

1. All current subscribers who are registered for access to the site (it comes free with your subscription, you just have to register and select a login name and password) can now access ALL of WDJ’s past content. No more paying for that back issue that you loaned to a friend and never got back and now really need!

1. When you read a current article in the online version, links are provided for past articles that we reference in the text. So, as an example, in our July 2010 issue, we have an article about the Delta Society’s recent decision to disallow raw-fed dogs from its therapy dog programs. In the article, we mention that feeding dogs coconut oil can help inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria in and on that dog, and we reference an exhaustive article we published about the many benefits of coconut oil for dogs: “Crazy About Coconut Oil:How Coconut Oil Benefits Your Dog’s Health,” WDJ October 2005. Voila! In the online version, you can click on a link that will take you to that very article so you can read more about how to find coconut oil, what the best sources are, and more. Links to related items are included with each article.

1. Searches for back articles are easier than ever. In the “search” box, type key words from the article you’re trying to find or the topic you are interested in. The results will appear in reverse chronological order – most recent ones first – in a list, with the title and first paragraph of the article, and the issue in which the article appeared. Maybe you are looking for a certain article on calendula. You type in “calendula” into the search box. The search returns 26 different articles that mention calendula… But you are looking for an entire feature on the helpful herb, one that ran within the past few years. Well, because the articles are sorted with the most recent first, you can easily see that we’ve run two feature articles on calendula in the past three years: One in April 2008 called “Calendula: Herb of the Year,” and one in February 2007 about “Calendula and its Ability to Treat Your Dog’s Skin Problems.”  Note that searches for more common topics may yield a broader range of results. In such cases, you may get better results by using the “Advanced Search” function, entering your terms in the “Exact Phrase” box.

1. Back issue archive is easier to view, especially for the issues from July 2009 forward. For these most recent issues, a thumbnail of each cover appears. I don’t know about you, but I often remember which issue an article is in from just a glance at the artwork on the cover. Under “Resources” (on each page) click on “Back Issue Archive.” You can click on any cover to see what was in that entire issue.

1. It’s easier to find the link to the service you need for your subscription, whether you want to know how many issues you have left on your subscription, you need to change the address your subscription is sent to, you need to activate your free online access, or anything else. Click on “customer service,” in the upper right corner, and there are a number of options to click on that should solve any problem you’ve been having.

Fantastic! It always bothered me that we couldn't get back issues online, when we were already paying for the hard copy. This is really really good news and I thank you!

Posted by: DIANA G | July 31, 2010 2:10 PM    Report this comment

This is very good news! I fel that when I subscribe to a print edition I ought to have access to the articles online too, but I know that is a lot harder to do financially for a publication that does not accept ads. Good for you! and word of mouth, and sharing of articles, should increase your paid subscriber base.

Posted by: CYNTHIA C | July 29, 2010 10:23 PM    Report this comment

I hope you don't do what the last magazine that had issue articles online did. They made us start paying for them. I keep all my back issues and would hate to find out later, if I threw them away, that I wouldn't be able to get them online.

Posted by: Nancyk | July 29, 2010 10:01 PM    Report this comment

Times what they are, I was considering not subscribing again. But with access to back issues, I will be able to find what my need is when I need it. I am reconsidering now. Thanks for seeing your customers needs. L from Des Moines ,Iowa

Posted by: Unknown | July 29, 2010 9:40 PM    Report this comment

I love this new idea! WDJ is the best gift any dog lover can receive, I will continue to make it my number one gift idea.
Keep up the good work
Many thanks for a job well done
Jennifer Christie, Shandaken, NY

Posted by: JENNIFER C | July 28, 2010 5:06 AM    Report this comment

this new feature gives me the opportunity to sing your praises, something i do to all of my dog-loving friends. thanks to you, WDJ, and my breeder,(from whom i learned about your publication), i have "spread the word" about good nutrition for our beloved family nmembers. with this accessible archive, i can refresh my memory about good practices and new methods and products before imparting that info on to others... i will also continue to give gift subscriptions to support your unique efforts. thank you. joanna

Posted by: joanne s | July 27, 2010 8:23 PM    Report this comment

Congratulations! You have made subscribing to WDJ even better! Thank you for all you do to keep your readers updated on issues so important to the well being of our pets.

Posted by: Joan N | July 27, 2010 2:56 PM    Report this comment

Thank you! Your dedication to the well being of my puppies is overwhelming.
And now the new website. What more could I ask for? And I can freely share
my WDJ's and know that if I need to refer to a previous issue, it will be available here.

Huntsville Alabama

Posted by: RITA B | July 27, 2010 1:36 PM    Report this comment

Having the ability to check back issues from home, work or while visiting family is invaluable to me. Thanks!

Posted by: RITA N | July 27, 2010 1:07 PM    Report this comment

Thanks so much for this great service. How many times I have searched through stacks of back issues, but now it is just a click away! Great job!

Posted by: Susan K | July 27, 2010 12:31 PM    Report this comment

Thanks for the great articles on health, needed to see my Vet in July, he did everything you said he shouldn'tdo. I researched your previous three months article and was able to have an intelligent discussion, needless to say we saved my dog from a lot of bad advice, again thankyou, araticle were on Struvite crystal.

Posted by: Highlander | July 27, 2010 12:24 PM    Report this comment

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! These new search features for back issues is what I had been hoping for and now here it is!

Posted by: Barb E | July 27, 2010 12:22 PM    Report this comment

This is fabulous!!! Thank you so much! I can't wait to read through the back issues I've missed!!

Posted by: CRYSTAL T | July 27, 2010 11:54 AM    Report this comment

I love this new service, am anxious to look at back issues. avasmom from CA

Posted by: avasmom | July 27, 2010 11:30 AM    Report this comment

Allowing subscribers access to back issues is a great feature and makes my subscription to WDJ even more valuable (didn't think that was possible). Now I can throw out all those back issues that have been piling up in my attic.

Posted by: KATHY HALL | July 27, 2010 10:30 AM    Report this comment

What a great feature - very much appreciate you getting all the back articles on line.

Posted by: Caeli C | July 27, 2010 10:25 AM    Report this comment

Thank you WDJ!! You have gotten even better! I appreciate your generosity in offering access to back issues included in subscription price. K from Jacksonville, FL

Posted by: Enter your email address here | July 27, 2010 10:11 AM    Report this comment

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! You guys are just too awesome!

Posted by: SGcvn69 | July 27, 2010 9:42 AM    Report this comment

this is awesome! Thanks again for doing such a wonderful job with the WDJ.
Keep up the excellent work and articles
Darlene from Ontario Canada